Johns Hopkins Medicine
Director of Reproductive Medicine and Surgery
Brady Urological Institute at Bayview Medical Center
Pravin Rao, M.D., is an Assistant Professor of Urology, and the Director of Reproductive Medicine and Surgery at the Johns Hopkins Brady Urological Institute. He is a diplomate of the American Board of Urology.
Dr. Rao obtained his medical degree here at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He then completed his general surgery internship, urology residency, and urology chief residency at the Cleveland Clinic, Glickman Urological and Kidney Institute in Cleveland, Ohio. He then went on to complete a fellowship in male infertility and andrology at the University of Illinois, Chicago to concentrate on medical and surgical care for infertile patients.
Dr. Rao's clinical practice focuses on Male Infertility and Andrology, Urologic Oncology, and General Urology. His main areas of expertise involve microsurgery using an operative microscope, which has been shown to yield superior outcomes in reproductive operations such as vasectomy reversal and testicular sperm extraction (TESE). He also has expertise in open and minimally invasive surgery (including endoscopic, laparoscopic, and robotic) for treatment of cancer, urinary tract stones, and benign diseases of the urinary tract.
His primary research interests include the characterization and management of the close relationships between male infertility and multiple medical conditions including testicular cancer, prostate cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and hypogonadism. Educating patients and influencing public health policy about these concerns is one of his top priorities.
2000 B.S., Tulane University, Biochemistry
2004 M.D., Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
2004 - 2005 Internship, Cleveland Clinic, General Surgery
2005 - 2009 Residency, Cleveland Clinic, Urology
2009 - 2010 Chief Residency, Cleveland Clinic, Urology
2010 - 2011 Fellowship, University of Illinois, Chicago, Male Infertility and Andrology
Illinois State Medical License
Maryland State Medical License
Peer-reviewed Journal Publications
- Kummer J, Rao P, Heidenreich K. "p38 MAP Kinase Mediates Apoptosis Induced by Trophic Factor Withdrawal." Journal of Biological Chemistry. 271:20490-20494, 1997.
- Zawada W, Meintzer M, Rao P, Marotti J, Wang X, Esplen J, Clarkson E, Freed C, Heidenreich K. "Inhibitors of p38 MAP kinase increase the survival of transplanted dopamine neurons." Brain Research. 891; 185-196:2001.
- Bhayani S, Allaf M, Link R, Rao P, Varkarakis J, Jarrett T, Kavoussi L. "Laparoscopic partial nephrectomy in patients with neoplasia in a solitary kidney." Urology. 2004 Jul;64(1):35-7
- Varkarakis I, Rais-Bahrami S, Allaf M, Lima G, Permpongkosol S, Rao P, Jarrett T, Kavoussi LR. "Laparoscopic renal-adrenal surgery in patients on oral anticoagulant therapy." J. Urol. 2005 Sep;174(3):1020-3.
- Wang X, Yin L, Rao P, Stein R, Harsch K, Heston W. "Targeted treatment of prostate cancer" J Cell Biochem. 2007 Oct 15;102(3):571-9.
- Rao P, Jones JS. "Screening for Bladder Cancer in Primary Care: A Comprehensive Review," Medscape website: 2008 Jan 25: http://www.medscape.com/viewprogram/8618.
- Rao P, Jones J. "How to Evaluate 'Dipstick Hematuria': What to do Before You Refer." Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine. 2008 Mar; 75(3): 227-233.
- Rao P, Iverson A, Cespedes R, Sabanegh E. "Augmentation Cystoplasty," eMedicine website: 2008 Mar 11: http://www.emedicine.com/MED/topic3020.htm.
- Rao P, Jones J. "Routine Perioperative Chemotherapy Instillation with Initial Transurethral Resection: A Reconsideration of Economic Benefits." Cancer. 2009 Mar 1;115(5):997- 1004.
- Rao P, Palmer J. "Prenatal and postnatal management of hydronephrosis." Scientific World Journal. 2009 Jul 13;9:606-14.
- Rao P, Gao T, Pohl M, Jones J. "Dipstick pseudohematuria: unnecessary consultation and evaluation." J Urol. 2010 Feb;183(2):560-4.
Jayaram G, Rao P. "Safety of Trazodone as a Sleep Agent for Inpatients." Psychosomatics. 2005 Aug; 46:367-369
Rao P, Sabanegh E. "Genitourinary Sarcoidosis: A Case Review". Reviews in Urology. 2009 Spring;11(2):108-13.
Book Chapters, Monographs:
Rao P, Sabanegh E. "Varicocele" in Atlas of Small Surgery in Urology. Editors: Matias R, Tajra L. Publication Pending. Publisher: Sarvier.
Other media (films, videos, CD-ROMS, slide sets, etc.)
Ong A, Link R, Ellison L, Allaf M, Pinto P, Bhayani S, Varkarakis I, Inagaki T, Rao P, Jarrett T, Kavoussi L. "Telerounding" Video at American Urological Association Annual Meeting 2004 in San Francisco, CA.
American Urological Association, 2004 – present.
American Society for Reproductive Medicine, 2010 – present
Society for Male Reproduction and Urology, 2010 – present
Society for the Study of Male Reproduction 2010 – present