Professor of Urology
Director of the Division of Neurological and Reconstructive Urology
Brady Urological Institute
Johns Hopkins Medicine
Resume of Clinical Skills and Services
Dr. Mostwin is one of the most experienced senior members of the Department of Urology performing pelvic and prostatic surgery. He is Professor of Urology and Director of the Division of Neurological and Reconstructive Urology that also treats incontinence, damage and dysfunction of the lower urinary tract. His focus on prevention and treatment of incontinence has been incorporated into more than 2600 radical prostatectomies performed since the operation was first developed in 1982 by Dr. Patrick Walsh, with whom he has worked continuously for the entire 25 years since the operation was first developed. Dr. Mostwin brings this accumulated experience to the consulting room, bedside and operating room to provide the best possible care for every patient. Click here to contact Dr. Mostwin for diagnosis or treatment of prostate cancer.
Dr. Mostwin is an internationally recognized leader and expert in the causes and treatment of all forms of urinary incontinence in men and women, with expertise in urodynamics, use of medications, injection of collagen and other bulking agents, implanting and troubleshooting the AMS 800 artificial urinary sphincter, and more extensive reconstruction. The focus is on women with adult onset incontinence or complications from its treatment, men with incontinence after surgical or radiation treatment for prostate cancer, patients with congenital problems such as spina bifida who have become adults, patients who underwent reconstruction in childhood but are now adults, and patients with neurological diseases or injuries who have developed urinary incontinence. Click here to obtain more information about men's incontinence or women's incontinence. Click here to consult Dr. Mostwin for problems with incontinence.
Woman's Guide to Incontinence
Dr. Mostwin's unique experience has recently led to publication of a new patient guide entitled: "A Woman's Guide to Urinary Incontinence" co-authored with his colleague in Obstetrics and Gynecology, Dr. Rene Genadry, and scheduled for publication in the fall of 2007 by the Johns Hopkins University Press. Click here to learn more about this book or to obtain a copy.
Prostate Bulletin, BPH and Lower Tract Symptoms
Dr. Mostwin is the Medical Editor of the Hopkins Prostate Bulletin. For more information about the Bulletin, click here. His experience in lower tract function, prostatic disease and surgery extends to the evaluation and treatment of prostatic enlargement (BPH) and its complications by medical and surgical methods. To consult Dr. Mostwin for BPH problems, click here.
Dr. Mostwin's broad surgical experience also extends to surgical treatment of bladder cancer, bladder and urethral diverticulum, vaginal fistula in women, bladder or ureteral injuries after gynecological surgery, and surgery for complicated pelvic masses close to the urinary tract. For a consultation regarding any of these problems, click here.
Research and Teaching
Dr. Mostwin's current research interests are concerned with the human dimensions of illness and medicine, closely related to his appointment as director of the School of Medicine's Course entitled "Patient, Physician and Society." For more about the course, click here.If you have been advised to see Dr. Mostwin by your doctor, or you would like to contact him directly please call 410-955-4461 or click here.
1963-1967 - Loyola High School, Baltimore, Maryland
1967-1971 - B.S. Tufts College, Medford, Massachusetts
1971-1975 - M.D. University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland
1987 - D.Phil. University of Oxford, England
- Medical internship
Dept. Internal Medicine, University of Maryland Hospitals
Theodore Woodward, Chairman
General surgical training
Dept. of General Surgery, University of Michigan Hospitals
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Jeremiah Turcotte, Chairman
Brady Urological Institute, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions
Patrick Walsh, Chairman
Clinical Fellow, Pediatric Urology
Junior Assistant Resident, Urology
Postgraduate Research Fellow, University Dept. of Pharmacology, University of Oxford, England
Senior Assistant Resident, Urology
Chief Resident, Urology
- National Board Medical Examiners Parts I, II, III
- American Board of Urology
- Maryland State License
Publications: Peer-reviewed Original Science Research Articles and Reviews
Free Access to abstracts at PubMed
- Elder JS, Mostwin JL (1984): Cyst of the ejaculatory duct/urogenital tract sinus. J Urol 132:768-771.
- Walsh PC, Mostwin JL (1984): Radical prostatectomy and cystoprostatectomy with preservation of potency. Brit J Urol 56:694-697.
- Mostwin JL (1985): Intracellular receptor operated calcium stores in the smooth muscle of the guinea pig bladder. J Urol 133:900-905.
- Droller MD, Mostwin JL (1986): Prostaglandins in Urology. In Raejfer, J (ed.) "Urologic Endocrinology", Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders, pp 362-380.
- Brading AF, Mostwin JL, Sibley GNS, Speakman MJ (1986): Physiology of smooth muscle and its possible involvement in neuromuscular diseases of the urinary tract. Clin Sci 70 (Suppl 4):7s-13s, 1986.
- Mostwin JL (1986): The action potential of guinea pig bladder smooth muscle. J Urol 135:1299-1303.
- Mostwin JL (1986): "Electrical and Mechanical Aspects of Bladder Muscle Contractility," D.Phil. Thesis, Oxford University.
- Mostwin JL (1988): Electrical membrane events underlying bladder muscle contractility. Neurourol Urodyn 6:429-437.
- Quinlan DM, Nelson RJ, Partin AW, Mostwin JL, Walsh PC (1989): The rat as a model for the study of penile erection. J Urol 141:656-665.
- Brading AF, Mostwin JL (1989): Electrical and mechanical responses of guinea pig bladder muscle to nerve stimulation. Br J Pharmacol 98:1083-1090.
- Gearhart JP, Mostwin (1989): Intracoporeal pressure monitoring during artificial penile erection. J Urol 142:1063-1064.
- Mostwin JL (1990): Urinary problems in multiple sclerosis and other spinal cord diseases. In Johnson R (ed.) "Current Neurological Diagnosis and Treatment," Philadelphia: B.C.Decker, 164-168
- Mostwin JL (1991): Surgery of the ureter and kidney in pregnancy. In "Urological Surgery" ,edited by FF Marshall, Philadelphia: W.B.Saunders, pp 108-113.
- Mostwin JL (1990): Complications of incontinence surgery in women. In Marshall FF (ed.) "Urological Complications" , St. Louis, Mosby Year Book, pp338-353.
- Mostwin JL (1991) Electrical properties of bladder smooth muscle. Neurourol Urodyn 10:87-96.
- Brendler CB, Steinberg GD, Marshall FF, Mostwin JL, Walsh PC (1990): Potency, local recurrence and survival following nerve-sparing radical cystoprostatectomy. J Urol 144:1137-40.
- Walsh PC, Brendler CB, Chang T, Marshall FF, Mostwin JL, Stutuzman R, Schlegel PN (1990): Preservation of sexual function in men during radical pelvic surgery. Md Med J 39:389-393.
- Mostwin JL, Karim O, Van Koeveringe G, Brooks EL: (1991) The guinea pig as a model of gradual urethral obstruction. J Urol 145: 854-858.
- Marshall FF, Mostwin JL, Walsh PC, Radebaugh LC, Brendler CB: (1991) Ileocolic neobladder post-cystectomy: continence and potency. J Urol 145:502-504.
- Yang A, Mostwin JL, Rosenshein NB, Zerhouni EA (1991): Dynamic evaluation of pelvic floor descent in women using fastscan MRI and cinematic display. Radiology 179:25-33.
- Mostwin JL: (1991) Current concepts of female pelvic anatomy and physiology. Urol Clin N Am 18:175-195.
- Mostwin JL: (1990) Effect of pharmaceuticals on bladder function. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 2: 580-584.
- Treiger BF, Humphrey LS,Peterson CV Jr, Oesterling JE, Mostwin JL, Reitz BA, Marshall FF.(1991): Transesophageal echocardiography in renal cell carcinoma: an accurate diagnostic technique for intracaval neoplastic extension. J Urol 145:1138-40.
- Ghonheim G, Shourky A, Yang A, Mostwin JL (1992): Imaging for urogynecology including new modalities. Int Urogynecol J 3:212-221.
- Mostwin JL, Sotolongo J, Blaivas J (1992): Anatomical overview of female incontinence. In: Surgical Management of Urological Disease, edited by MD Droller, St. Louis, Mosby Year Book, pp 1043-1053.
- Seki N, Karim OMA, Mostwin JL (1992). Changes in electrical properties of guinea pig smooth muscle membrane by experimental bladder outflow obstruciton. Am J Physiol 262:F885-91, 1992.
- Karim OMA, Pienta K, Seki N, Mostwin JL (1991). Stretch-mediated visceral smooth muscle growth in vitro. Am J Physiol 262:R895-900.
- Seki N, Karim OMA, Mostwin JL (1992). Membrane electrical properties of guinea pig bladder smooth muscle with growth. Neurourol Urodyn 11:245-252.
- Seki N, Karim OMA, Mostwin JL (1992) Effect of pinacidil on the membrane electrical activity of guinea pig detrusor muscle. Journal of Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics 263(2) 816-822.
- Karim OMA, Seki N, Mostwin JL (1992). Analysis of the detrusor smooth muscle action potential. Urol Res 20:173-176.
- Karim OMA, Seki N, Pienta KJ, Mostwin JL (1992). The effect of age on the detrusor to intracellualr mechanical stimulus: DNA replication and the cell actin matrix. J Cell Biochem, 48:373-384.
- Van Koeveringe G, Mostwin JL, Van Mastrigt R, Van Koevering A, Karim O (1993). The effect of partial urethral obstruction on force development and voiding cycle parameters in the guinea pig. Neurourol Urodyn 12:555-572.
- Mostwin JL, Seki N, Karim OMA, Van Koeveringe G (in press): Guinea pig as an animal model for the study of urinary bladder function in the normal and obstructed state. Neurourol Urodyn. 13 (2) 137-145.
- Mostwin JL, , Karim OMA, vanKoeveringe, Seki N (1994): The effect of obstruction on electrical properties of urinary bladder smooth muscle with possible implications for post-obstructive voiding dysfunction. Dialgues in Ped Urol.
- Karim OMA, Seki N, Mostwin JL (1992). Detrusor hyperplasia and expression of "immediate entry" genes c-fos and c-myc with onset of abnormal urodynamic parameters in the experimentally obstructed bladder. Am J Physiol. 263 (6 pt 2) R1284-R1290.
- Seki N, Karim OMA, Mostwin JL (1992): Effect of experimental urethral obstruction and its reversal on changes in passive electrical properties of detrusor muscle. J Urol 148:1957-61.
- Cendron M, Horton C, Karim OMA, Takishima H, Haberlik A, Mostwin JL, Gearhart JP (1994): A fetal lamb model of partial ureteral obstruction: experimental protocol and results. J Ped Surg 29:77-80.
- Mostwin JL (1993) Neuroprostheses in Urology. In: Problems in Urology: Neurourology and Its Role in Urologic Disease: Part II, edited by J. Blaivas and M. Chancellor, Philadelphia, J.B. Lippincott, pp 94-106.
- Seki N, Karim OM, Mostwin JL. (1992) Changes in the electrical properties of guinea pig smooth muscle membrane by experimental bladder outflow obstruction. Jpn J Pharmacol 58 (Suppl 2):370P.
- Karim OMA, Cendron M, Mostwin JL, Gearhart J (1993) Developmental alterations in the fetal lamb badder subjected to partial urethral obstruction in utero. J Urol 150:1060-1063.
- Sanders R, Genadry R, Yang A, Mostwin J (1994) Imaging the female urethra. Ultrasound Quarterly 12(3):167-184.
- Mostwin JL, (in press) Bladder dysfunction associated with prolapsed inter vertebral disc and lumbar spondylosis. In:Textbook of Genito-Urinary Surgery, edited by R. Kirby and H. Whitfield, Oxford, Blackwell Scientific.
- Mostwin JL, Seki N, Karim OMA, vanKoeveringe G (1995) Electrical properties of obstructed guinea pig bladder. In Muscle, Matrix and Function, edited by S. Zderic, New York, Plenum Press, pp 21-28.
- Mostwin JL, Genadry R, Sanders RC, Yang A (in press) Stress incontinence in women, review of current concepts and recent progress,Urology.
- Mostwin JL (1996) Burch colposuspension. In: Textbook of Operative Urology, edited by F. F. Marshall, Philadelphia, W. B. Saunders, pp. 741-751.
- Mostwin JL (1996) Richardson paravaginal repair. In:Textbook of Operative Urology, edited by F. F. Marshall, Philadelphia, W. B. Saunders, pp. 752-758.
- Mostwin JL, Sanders RC, Yang A, Genadry R(1995) Radiography, sonography and magnetic resonance imaging for stress incontinence: contributions, uses and limitations.Urol. Cin. North Am 22(9):529-549.
- Mostwin JL and Burnett AL (1997) Anatomic aspects of Urinary Incontinence. In Urinary Incontinence, edited by Pat O'Donnell, St. Louis, Mosby, pp 16-25.
- Burnett AC, Liu, JX, MostwinJL(in preparation) Nitric Oxide relaxes the rat urethra.
- Burnett AC, Cisek L, Mostwin JL (in preparation) Muscular composition of the male urinary sphincter studied by ultrathin whole pelvic sections.
- Liu JX, Burnett AL, MostwinJL (in preparation) Carbon monoxide: a physiological mediator for relaxation of rat urethral smooth muscle.
- Schoenberg MP, Walsh PC, Breazeale DR, Marshall FF, Mostwin JL, Brendler CB (1996) Local recurrence, potency and survival following nerve-sparing radical cystoprostatectomy for bladder cancer: ten year follow-up. J. Urol.
- Ji P, Karim OMA, Boyd CD, Mostwin JL, Ward WS (1995). Elastin morphology in normal and obstructed guine-pig badders. Localization of elastin to the trigone. World J Urol 13:191-194.
- Mostwin JL (1995). Anatomical goals in the treatment of stress incontinence. J. Endourology 10:207-212.
- Brading AF, Teramoto N, Nakayama S, Bramich N, Inoue R, Fujii K, Mostwin J. The relationship between the electrophysiological properties of lower urinary tract smooth muscles and their function in vivo. In T.B. Bolton and T. Tomita (eds.) Smooth Muscle Excitation, London, Academic Press, pp 403-415.
- Mostwin JL (1997) Incontinence after radical prostatectomy: a review of the urodynamic perspective. In: Recent Advances in Prostate Cancer and BPH. Edited by F. Schroder, New York, Parthenon, pp 87-94.
- Mostwin JL, Walsh PC. The History of the Brady Urological Institute (In preparation)
- Mostwin JL. (1997) Collagen Injection For Treatment for Adult Incontinence. Family Urology 3, Winter 1997, pp 8-10,22.
- Mostwin JL. (1997) A myogenic basis for the overactive bladder. Discussion: effects of urethral obstruction on guinea pig bladder muscle. Urology 50 (6A), pp 68-70.
- Leach GE, Dmochowski RR, Appell RA, Blaivas JG, Hadley HR, Luber KM, Mostwin JL, O'Donnell PD, Roehrborn CG. (1997) Female stress urinary incontinence clinical guidelines panel summary report on surgical management of female stress urinary incontinence. Journal of Urology 158:875-880.
- Leach GE, Dmochowski RR, Appell RA, Blaivas JG, Hadley HR, Luber KM, Mostwin JL, O'Donnell PD, Roehrborn CG. (1997). Female stress urinary incontinence clinical guidelines panel: report on the surgical management of female stress urinary incontinence. Baltimore: American Urological Association, Inc., .
INSTRUCTIONAL MOVIES AND VIDEO TAPES
Yang A, Mostwin J, Zerhouni E (1990): Magnetic resonance imaging of the female pelvis and urethra.
PUBLISHED ABSTRACTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Sanders R, Genadry R, Mostwin J, Yang A .Assessment of stress incontinence with ultrasound. Radiology 197(P):435, 1995
- Sanders R, Genadry R, Mostwin J, Yang A Assessment of stress incontinence with ultrasound and concomitant pressure studies. Radiology 197(P):436, 1995
- Rodriguez R, Partin AW, Mostwin JL. Long term follow up of surgically treated stress incontinence. J Urol L 153:431A, 1995.
- Liu JX, Burnett A, Mostwin JL . Carbon Monoxide relaxes rat urethral smooth muscle. J Urol L 153:926, 1995.
- Carter HB, Stutzman RE, Mostwin JL . Functional and radiographic characteristics of a tubularized neourethra after radical prostatectomy. J Urol L 151:270A, 1994.
- Yang A, Mostwin JL , Sanders RC, Genadry R. Reassessment of conventional concepts of pelvic floor and urethral weakness using dynamic fastscan MRI and high resolution endocavitary surface coil imaging of urethra. J Urol L 151:420A, 1994.
- Liu JX, Kakitelashvilli V, Mostwin JL . Contractile and cytoskeletal protein changes are associated with abnormal urodynamic parameters in the obstructed guinea pig. J Urol L 151:446A, 1994. 1994.
- Schoenberg MP, Walsh PC, Breazeale DR, Marshall FF, Mostwin JL , Brendler CB. Local recurrence and survival following nerve sparing radical cystoprostatectomy: ten year follow up. J Urol L 153: 393A, 1995.
- Mostwin J, Sanders R, Yang A, Genadry R. Anatomic and pathophysiological relationship between vaginal hypermobility and stress urinary incontinence. Int Urogynecol J 4:388, 1993.
- Genadry R, Yang A, Mostwin J, Sanders R. Dynamics of pelvic relaxation-early observations.Int Urogynecol J 4:395, 1993.
- Sanders R, Genadry R, Yang A, Mostwin J. A comparison of beaking, urethra/symphysis and bladder angle measurements, cystocele presence and urethral rotation as sonographic signs of stress incontinence. Int Urogynecol J 4401, 1993.
- Mostwin J, Sanders R, Yang A, Genadry R. New insights into anatomic linkage between vaginal hypermobility and stress incontinence. Neurourol Urodyn 12:303, 1993.
- Sanders R, Genadry R, Yang A, Mostwin J. A comparison of beaking, urethra/symphysis and bladder angle measurements, cystocele presence and urethral rotation as sonographic signs of stress incontinence. Neurourol Urodyn 12:304, 1993
- Karim OMA, Seki N, Mostwin JL . Myocyte nuclear plasticity with bladder distention. J Urol L 149: 296A, 1993.
- Sanders R, Genadry R, Yang A, Mostwin J. Transabdominal, transvaginal, translabial and transrectal sonographic techniques in the evaluation of stress incontinence. Neurourol Urodyn 12:304, 1993
- Ji P, Karim O, Friedman J, Mostwin J, Boyd C, Cummings K, Ward S. Three dimensional architecture of elastin in obstructed and normal guinea pig bladder: predominance in the trigone. J Urol L 147:469A, 1992.
- Yang A, Mostwin J, Genadry R, Sanders R. Patterns of prolapse demonstrated with dynamic fastscan MRI; re-assessment of conventional concepts of pelvic floor weakness. Neurourol Urodyn am 12:310, 1993.
- Yang A, Mostwin J, Genadry R, Sanders R. Hih resoluton mgnetic resonance imaging of urethra and periurethral structures using intravaginal surface coil and quadrature phased array surface coil. Neurourol Urodyn 12:329, 1993.
- Cendron M. Karim OMA, Mostwin JL , Gearhart JP. In utero partial urethral onstruction in the fetal lamb: structural changes seen in the developing bladder. J Urol L 147:225A, 1992. Karim OMA, Seki N, Mostwin JL . Detrusor hyperplasia and expression of c-fos and c-myc with onset of abnormal urodynamic paramters in the experimentally obstructed bladder. J Urol L 147:314A, 1992.
- Seki N, Karim OMA, Mostwin JL . Changes in action potential properties of the detrusor smooth muscle membrane following experimental bladder outflow obstruction and release of obstruciton in the guinea pig. J Urol L 147:349A, 1992.
- Ji P, Karim OMA, Friedman J, Mostwin JL , Boyd C, Cummings K, Ward S. Three dimensional architecture of elastin in obstructed and normal guinea pig bladder: predominance in the trigone. J Urol L 147:469A, 1992.
- Karim OMA, Pienta K, Seki N, Mostwin JL . The effect of age on the response of the detrusor to mechanical stimulus: DNA replication and matrix alterations. J Urol L 147:474A, 1992.
- Karim OMA, Cendron M, Mostwin JL , Gearhart JP. Developmental structural reorganization in the partially obstructed fetal lamb model. Neurourol Urodyn 10:404, 1991.
- Seki N, Karim OMA, Mostwin JL : Effect of obstruction on passive properties of guinea pig detrusor muscle memebrane Neurourol Urodyn 10:403, 1991.
- Seki N, Karim OMA, Mostwin JL 0: Effect of outflow obstruction on action potential of guinea pig smooth muscle Neurourol Urodyn 10:402, 1991.
- Karim OMA, Pienta K, Seki N, Mostwin JL : In vivo and in vitro models of growth induced strecth in smooth muscle Neurourol Urodyn 10:401, 1991.
- Mostwin JL : Dr. Howard A Kelly of Baltimore: His contributions to the practice of urology. J Urol L 145:276A, 1991
- Karim OMA, Mostwin JL (1991): Bladder outflow obstruction and release in the guinea pig: effect on urodynamic parameters and biochemical markers of detrusor structure. J Urol L 145:387A.
- Ward WS, Karim OMA, Ji P, Pierce RA, Levi-Minzi SA, MacKenzie JW, Cummings KB, Boyd CD, Mostwin JL (1991): Elevated levels of tropoelastin mRNA following short term bladder outflow obstruction in the guinea pig. J Urol L 145:338A
- Yang A, Mostwin J, Zerhouni E (1990): Magnetic resonance imaging of the female urethra. Neurourol Urodyn 9, 393
- Karim OMA, Mostwin JL (1990): Changes in bladder choline acetyltransferase activity following short tern obstruction and release of obstruction. Neurourol Urodyn 9, 427
- Mostwin JL (1988) Electrical basis of bladder muscle contraction. J Urol L 139, 193A
- Gearhart JP, Mostiwn JL (1988) Intracorporeal monitoring during artifical penile erection. J Urol L 139, 216A
- Quinlan DM, Mostwin JL , Partin AW, Nelson RJ, Walsh PC (1988) A new rat model for the study of mammalian penile erection. J Urol L 139, 252A.
- Kozikowski JG, Mostwin JL (1988) Automated data acquisition and control for the study of contractile responses of human urinary smooth muscle. J Urol L 139, 351A.
- Mostwin JL (1986) Electrical and mechanical responses of guinea pig bladder muscle to nerve stimulation. J Urol L 135, 219A
- Brendler CB,Steinberg GD, Marshall FF, Mostwin JL , Walsh PC (1990) Local recurrence. survival and potency following nerve-sparing radical cystoprostatectomy. J Urol L 143, 199A.
- Karim OMA, van Koeveringe G, Mostwin JL (1990) Development of abnormal voiding patterns following partial obstruction of the guinea pig urethra. J Urol L 143, 355A.
- Van Koeveringe G, Mostwin JL , van Mastrigt R, vanb Koeveringe BJ (1990) Effect of partial obstruction on force development in guinea pig bladder muscle. J Urol L 143, 355A.
- Marshall FF, Radebaugh L, Brendler CB. Mostwin JL (1990) Continent micturition and potency post radical cystectomy for carcinoma. J Urol L 143, 398A.
- Belden L, Kushner G, Wascher U, Naslund M, Mostwin J (1990) Design, fabrication, Evaluation and iterations of tailored urinary bladder prosthesis. J Urol L 143, 410A.
- Yang A, Mostwin JL , Radebaugh LC, Rosenshein N, Zerhouni EA (1989) Dynamic evaluation of pelvic prolapse using fastscan magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and cinematic display, comparison with cystometrogram. J Urol L 141, 200A.
- Klutke C, Golomb J, Mostwin JL , Raz S (1989) The anatomy of stress incontinence. J Urol L 141, 200A.
- Mostwin JL , Brooks L (1989) A new guinea pig model of urethral obstruction. J Urol L 141, 335A.
- Waldron M, Kozikowski JG, Mostwin JL (1989) Complete robotic system for unattended bladder muscle experiments in a clinically based laboratory. J Urol L 141, 373A
- Marshall FF, Radebaugh LC, Mostwin JL , Brendler CB (1989) Ileocolic bladder post cystectomy : nocturnal continence and urodynamic evaluation. J Urol L 141, 377A.
- Brendler CB, Marshall FF, Mostwin JL , Walsh PC (1989) Local recurrence and survival following nerve-sparing radical cystoprostatectomy. J Urol L 141, 377A.
- American Medical Association
- American Urological Association
- American Urological Association, Mid-Atlantic Section
- Urodynamics Society, Executive Committee
- International Continence Society
- International Society for the Dynamics of the Upper Urinary Tract
- Urologists' Correspondence Club
- 1971 magna cum laude - Carmichael Prize Scholarship in Physiological Psychology, Tufts College
- 1983-1985 American Urological Association Scholar
- 1984-1986 British Overseas Research Student Award
- 1992 Paul Zimskind Award - given by the Urodynamics Society for continuing excellence and leadership in the field of neurourology.