Associate Professor of Urology, Oncology, and Biomedical Engineering
Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions
Director, Minimally Invasive and Robotic Surgery
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Dr. Allaf is an Associate Professor of Urology, Oncology, and Biomedical Engineering at the Brady Urological Institute and Director of Minimally Invasive and Robotic Urological Surgery at the Johns Hopkins Hospital. He joined the staff after receiving his undergraduate and medical degrees from the Johns Hopkins University and completing his residency and advanced training in Urology at Johns Hopkins, as well.
As a urologic oncologist, his main clinical focus includes the treatment of kidney tumors and prostate cancer. While expert in both open and minimally invasive surgery, he specializes in ROBOTIC approaches to these diseases and is amongst the busiest robotic surgeons in the world. The following is a list of robotic procedures he performs on a regular basis:
Dr. Allaf also runs a research laboratory aimed at decreasing the morbidity associated with the treatment of urologic cancers. He oversees a large registry of patients who have small kidney tumors and elect for careful and active observation. Additionally, given his background as a biomedical engineer, he is a leader in developing future technological advancements in the field of robotic and minimally invasive surgery. An example of this is the use of real-time elastography imaging during robotic prostatectomy to regain tactile feedback during this delicate procedure.
Dr. Allaf has been the recipient of numerous academic awards and has been invited nationally and internationally to demonstrate robotic surgery and lecture on robotic prostatectomy and kidney surgery. He has written and published numerous research articles, textbook chapters, patents and video presentations in the field of Laparoscopic and Robotic Urologic Surgery.
If you are an International patient (outside the United States) please click herefor more information.
Dr. Allaf routinely performs surgery on international patients and has personally performed surgery abroad. His goal is to provide you with the best medical care possible while coordinating the care plan with your local physicians. Dr. Allaf prefers setting up an appointment by phone after receiving the relevant medical records.
Based on this phone appointment a care plan will be formulated allowing you to plan your trip to Baltimore efficiently. For inquiries please call Dr. Allaf's office at +1 410-502-7710 or email him directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|School of Medicine
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
Whiting School of Engineering
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
|Resident in Urological
|Resident in General Surgery
|Intern in General Surgery
- American Board of Urology Qualifying Examination, Part 1- 2006
- National Board of Medical Examiners- 2003
- State of Maryland Licensure in Medicine and Surgery, 2006-present
- daVinci® Robotic Surgical System Certification (Intuitive
Surgical, Inc.), 2006
- Greenlight (PVP) LASER certificate, 2005
- daVinci® Robotic Surgical System Certification (Intuitive Surgical, Inc.), 2006
- Allaf ME, Jackman SV, Schulam PG, Cadeddu JA, Lee BR, Moore
RG, Kavoussi LR. Laparoscopic visual field: Voice vs. foot pedal
interfaces for the AESOP robot. Sur Endosc 1998 Dec; 12(12):1415-1418.
- Lee BR, Allaf ME, Moore R, Bohlman M, Wang GM, Bishoff
JT, Jackman SV, Cadeddu JA, Jarrett TW, Khazan R, Kavoussi LR. Clinical
decision making using teleradiology in urology. Am J Roentgenol 1999 Jan; 172(1):19-22.
- Bishoff, JT, Allaf ME, Kirkels W, Moore RG, Kavoussi LR,
Schroder F. Laparoscopic bowel injury: incidence and unique clinical
presentation. J Urol 1999 Mar;161(3):887-90.
- Hernandez DJ, Sinkov VA, Roberts WW, Allaf ME, Patriciu
A, Jarrett TW, Kavoussi LR, Stoianovici D. Measurement of bio-impedance
with a smart needle to confirm percutaneous kidney access. J
Urol. 2001 Oct;166(4):1520-3.
- Allaf ME, Hsu TH, Sullivan W, Su L. Simultaneous laparoscopic
prosthetic mesh inguinal herniorrhaphy during transperitoneal laparoscopic
radical prostatectomy. Urology. 2003 Dec;62(6):1121.
- Varkarakis JM, McAllister M, Ong AM, Solomon SB, Allaf ME,
Inagaki T, Bhayani SB, Trock B, Jarrett TW. Evaluation of water
jet morcellation as an alternative to hand morcellation of renal
tissue ablation during laparoscopic nephrectomy: an in vitro study. Urology. 2004 Apr;63(4):796-9.
- Bhayani SB, Allaf ME, Kavoussi LR. Laparoscopic RPLND
for clinical stage I nonseminomatous germ cell testicular cancer:
current status. Urol Oncol. 2004 Mar-Apr;22(2):145-8.
- Allaf ME, Bhayani SB, Kavoussi LR. Taking the Side of
Transperitoneal Access for Surgery in Upper Urinary Tract. Curr
Urol Rep. 2004 Apr;5(2):87-92.
- Allaf ME, Carter HB. Update on Watchful Waiting for Prostate
Cancer. Curr Opin Urol. 2004 May;14(3):171-5.
- Varkarakis IM, Bhayani SB, Allaf ME, Inagaki T, Ong AM,
Kavoussi LR, Jarrett TW. Management of secondary ureteropelvic junction
obstruction after failed primary laparoscopic pyeloplasty. J
Urol. 2004 Jul;172(1):180-2.
- Bhayani SB, Allaf ME, Link RE, Rao P, Varkarakis JM, Jarrett
TW, Kavoussi LR. Laparoscopic partial nephrectomy in patients with
neoplasia in a solitary kidney. Urology. 2004 Jul;64(1):35-7.
- Bove P, Bhayani SB, Rha KH, Allaf ME, Jarrett TW, Kavoussi
LR. Necessity of ureteral catheter during laparoscopic partial nephrectomy. J Urol. 2004 Aug;172(2):458-60.
- Inagaki T, Bhayani SB, Allaf ME, Ong AM, Rha KH, Petresior
D, Patriciu A, Varkarakis IM, Jarrett TW, Stoianovici D, Kavoussi
LR. Tumor capacitance: electrical measurements of renal neoplasia. J Urol. 2004 Aug;172(2):454-7.
- Allaf ME, Bhayani SB, Rogers C, Varkarakis J, Inagaki T,
Jarrett TW, Kavoussi LR. Laparoscopic Partial Nephrectomy: Evaluation
of Long Term Oncologic Outcome J Urol. 2004 Sep;172(3):871-3.
- Bhayani SB, Rha KH, Pinto PA, Ong AM, Allaf ME, Trock
BJ, Jarrett TW, Kavoussi LR. Laparoscopic Partial Nephrectomy: Effect
Of Warm Ischemia On Serum Creatinine. J Urol. 2004 Oct;172(4,
Part 1 Of 2):1264-1266.
- Varkarakis IM, Bhayani SB, Allaf ME, Inagaki T, Gonzalgo
ML, Jarrett TW. Laparoscopic-assisted nephrectomy with inferior
vena cava tumor thrombectomy: preliminary results. Urology.
- Allaf M, Patriciu A, Mazilu D, Kavoussi L, Stoianovici D. Overview
and fundamentals of urologic robot-integrated systems. Urol
Clin North Am. 2004 Nov;31(4):671-82.
- Allaf ME, Palapattu GS, Trock BJ, Carter HB, Walsh PC.
Anatomical Extent of Lymph Node Dissection: Impact on Men with Clinically
Localized Prostate Cancer. J Urol. 2004 Nov: 172(5, Part
1 of 2): 1840-44.
- Palapattu GS, Allaf ME, Trock BJ, Epstein JI, Walsh PC.
Prostate Specific Antigen Progression in Men with Lymph Node Metastases
Following Radical Prostatectomy: Results of Long-Term Followup. J Urol. 2004, Nov: 172(5, Part 1 of 2): 1860-64.
- Varkarakis IM, Allaf ME, Bhayani SB, Inagaki T, Su LM,
Kavoussi LR, Jarrett TW. Pancreatic injuries during laparoscopic
urologic surgery. Urology. 2004 Dec;64(6):1089-93.
- Kohanim S, Allaf ME, Solomon SB, Jarrett TW. Small (<1.5cm)
Renal Tumor with Confirmed Metastasis. Urology. 2005 Jan;65(1):172-3.
- Varkarakis IM, Inagaki T, Allaf ME, Chan T, Rogers C,
Wright EJ, Fried NM. Comparison of Erbium:YAG and Holmium:YAG Lasers
for Incision of Urethra and Bladder Neck in an In Vivo Porcine Model. Urology. 2005 Jan;65(1):191-5.
- Bhayani SB, Allaf ME, Su LM, Solomon SB. Neuromuscular
complications after percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of renal
tumors. Urology. 2005 Mar;65(3):592.
- Roberts WW, Bhayani SB, Allaf ME, Chan TY, Kavoussi LR,
Jarrett TW. Pathological stage does not alter the prognosis for
renal lesions determined to be stage T1 by computerized tomography. J Urol. 2005 Mar;173(3):713-5.
- Allaf ME, Bhayani SB, Link RE, Schaeffer EM, Varkarakis
JM, Shadpour P, Lima G, Kavoussi LR. Laparoscopic Retroperitoneal
Lymph Node Dissection: Duplication of the Open Technique. Urology.
- Link RE, Bhayani SB, Allaf ME, Varkarakis I, Inagaki T,
Rogers C, Su LM, Jarrett TW, Kavoussi LR. Exploring the learning
curve, pathological outcomes and perioperative morbidity of laparoscopic
partial nephrectomy performed for renal mass. J Urol. 2005
- Varkarakis IM, Allaf ME, Bhayani SB, Inagaki T, Chan DY,
Su LM, Jarrett TW, Kavoussi LR, Solomon SB. Percutaneous radio frequency
ablation of renal masses: results at a 2-year mean followup. J
Urol. 2005 Aug;174(2):456-60.
- Lima GC, Varkarakis IM, Allaf ME, Fine SW, Kavoussi LR.
Small Cell Carcinoma of the Epididymis: Multimodal Therapy. Urology.
- Varkarakis IM, Rais-Bahrami S, Allaf ME, Lima GC, Permpongkosol
S, Rao P, Jarrett TW, Kavoussi LR. Laparoscopic renal-adrenal surgery
in patients on oral anticoagulant therapy. J Urol 2005
Sep; 174(3): 1020-3.
- Link RE, Allaf ME, Pili R, Kavoussi LR. Modeling the Cost
of Management Options for Stage I Nonseminomatous Germ Cell Tumors:
A Decision Tree Analysis JCO. Aug 20 2005: 5762–5773.
- Allaf ME, Varkarakis IM, Bhayani SB, Inagaki T, Kavoussi
LR. Pain Control Requirements for Percutaneous Renal Ablation: Cryoablation
versus Radiofrequency Ablation- Initial Observations. Radiology.
- Weld KJ, Ames CD, Landman J, Morrissey K, Connor T, Hruby G, Allaf ME, Bhayani SB. Evaluation of intra-abdominal pressures
and gas embolism during laparoscopic partial nephrectomy in a porcine
model. J Urol. 2005 Oct;174(4 Pt 1):1457-9.
- Allaf ME, Hoke A, Burnett AL. Erythropoietin Promotes
the Recovery of Erectile Function Following Cavernous Nerve Injury.
J Urol 2005 Nov;174(5):2060-4.
- Gupta A, Allaf ME, Jarrett TW, Chan DY, Kavoussi LR, Solomon
SB. Percutaneous Renal Tumor Cryoablation under CT Guidance: Initial
Clinical Experience. J Urol. 2006 Feb;175(2):447-52; discussion
- Warlick CA, Allaf ME, Carter HB. Expectant treatment with
curative intent in the prostate-specific antigen era: triggers for
definitive therapy. Urol Oncol. 2006 Jan-Feb;24(1):51-7.
- Warlick CA, Lima GC, Allaf ME, Varkarakis I, Permpongkosol
S, Schaeffer EM, Kavoussi LR, Jarrett TW, Solomon SB. Clinical sequelae
of radiographic iceball involvement of collecting system during
computed tomography-guided percutaneous renal tumor cryoablation. Urology. 2006 May;67(5):918-22.
- Muntener M, Nielsen ME, Romero FR, Schaeffer EM, Allaf
ME, Brito FA, Pavlovich CP, Kavoussi LR, Jarrett TW. Long-Term
Oncologic Outcome after Laparoscopic Radical Nephroureterectomy
for Upper Tract Transitional Cell Carcinoma. Eur Urol. Jan, 2007.
- Warlick CA, Mouli SK, Allaf ME, Wagner AA, Kavoussi
LR. Bladder irrigation using hydrogen peroxide for clot evacuation.
Urology. 2006 Dec;68(6):1331-2.
- Allaf ME, Partin AW, Carter HB. The importance
of pelvic lymph node dissection in men with clinically localized
prostate cancer. Rev Urol. 2006 Summer;8(3):112-9.
- Allaf ME and Carter HB: The Results of Watchful Waiting for Prostate
Cancer. AUA Update Series. January 2005.
- Wagner A, Allaf ME, Kavoussi LR. Stage I Germ Cell Testicular
Tumors: Challenges and Controversies Part II: Treating Non-Seminomatous
Tumors. Contemporary Urology, March 2005.
- Allaf ME, Partin AW, Carter HB. The Importance of Pelvic Lymph
Node Dissection in Men with Clinically Localized Prostate Cancer.
Medreview in Urology, 2005 (in press).
- Allaf ME and Jarrett TW: Nephrectomy for Malignant Disease. In
Talamini MA (Ed): Advanced Therapy in Minimally Invasive Surgery.
Ontario: BC Decker Inc Publisher, 2005.
- Allaf ME and Carter HB: Clinical Staging of Prostate Cancer: An
Overview. In Kirby, Partin, Feneley, Parsons (Ed): Prostate Cancer:
Principles and Practice, 2005.
- Allaf ME. Laparoscopic Retroperitoneal Lymph Node Dissection.
In Bishoff JT (Ed) Atlas of Laparoscopic Retroperitoneal Surgery,
- Carter HB, Allaf ME, Partin AW. Diagnosis and Staging of Prostate Cancer. In Campbell-Walsh Urology 9th edition (in press).
- Allaf ME, Bhayani SB, Kavoussi LR, Jarrett TW: Endoscopy of Bowel
Segments Used for Urinary Diversion. Presented at American Urological
Association Meeting, San Fransisco, 2004.
- Allaf ME, Bhayani SB, Shadpour P, Kavoussi LR: Laparoscopic Retroperitoneal
Lymph Node Dissection: Duplication of the Open Technique. Presented
at American Urological Association Meeting, San Fransisco 2004.
Featured in “Best of the Best” course at AUA meeting
and winner of 2nd prize in video contest.
- Warlick CA, Lima GC, Allaf ME, Bhayani SB, Varkarakis IM, Kavoussi LR, Jarrett TW, Solomon SB: Percutaneous Renal Tumor Cryoablation. Presented at World Congress of Endourology, Mumbai, India, 2004.
- American Urological Association
- Sexual Medicine Society of North America
- Endourological Society
- Tau Beta Pi (Engineering Class Rank=1/200), 1995
- Biomedical Engineering Undergraduate Research Award (JHU), 1995
- Howard Hughes Summer Research Fellowship, 1995
- Richard J. Johns Award for Outstanding Achievement in Biomedical Engineering (JHU), 1996
- Summa Cum Laude, 1996
- Chesapeake Education Summer Research Fellowship (JHU SOM), 1997
- Harold Lamport Research Award (JHU SOM), 1999
- Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons Outstanding Laparoscopic Surgeon Resident Award, 2003
- Pfizer Research Scholar Award, 2004
- First Place Mid-Atlantic American Urological Association Research Essay Contest, 2004
- Lapides Annual Essay Contest on Urodynamic and Neurourology Research, Honorable Mention, 2005
- First Place Laboratory Research Annual Essay Contest, AUA, 2005
- First Place Clinical Research Annual Essay Contest, AUA, 2005.
- American Urological Association Foundation Scholar, 2006.
- Stoianovici D, Kavoussi LR, Allaf ME, Jackman
SV: (1998) “A surgical needle probe for electrical impedance
measurements,” U.S. Patent of Invention #DM-3375 filed by
Johns Hopkins University.
- Allaf ME, Burnett AL: (2004) “Erythropoietin and erythropoietin-like compounds for the prevention and recovery of erectile function,” Provisional U.S. Patent of Invention, filed by Johns Hopkins University.