Assistant Professor Urology, Oncology
Dr. Johnson is an Assistant Professor of Urology and Oncology. He was recruited to the faculty after completing his urologic oncology fellowship at Johns Hopkins. Prior to Hopkins, Dr. Johnson received his undergraduate degree from Dartmouth College, his medical degree from the University of Washington, and completed his residency at Washington University in St. Louis.
As a fellowship-trained urologic oncologist, Dr. Johnson has received advanced training in treating prostate, kidney, and bladder cancers. He treats these diseases with both open and minimally-invasive/robotic approaches. This includes radical prostatectomy, radical/partial nephrectomy, and radical cystectomy.
Utilizing the latest technologies and surgical techniques, Dr. Johnson creates treatment plans that emphasize a lasting cure and speedy recovery. He believes that the keys to exceptional patient care are a prompt evaluation and excellent communication. His goal is to provide the best possible care, working with referring physicians to ensure patients transition back home in a seamless manner.
Dr. Johnson’s research laboratory focuses on using genomic and computational tools for personalized, preventive, and predictive cancer care. Having received training in computational biology and Systems Biology, he is funded by the National Institutes of Health to advance “Big Data” efforts for precision medicine in kidney cancer using personalized tumor sequencing. He holds additional grant funding in bladder cancer immunotherapy and prostate cancer research.
Dr. Johnson has received numerous awards, for his teaching and research efforts. He has authored many scientific publications, including research articles, videos of surgical techniques, and textbook chapters.
Dr. Johnson welcomes patient inquiries and referrals. Contacting him directly by phone (410-614-9156) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) will allow him to collect the necessary records, prior to a clinic appointment.
Project Title: Integrated computational and biological identification of personalized tumor-specific neoantigens in renal cell carcinoma
Source: Urology Care Foundation Research Scholar
Description: This study utilizes whole-exome sequencing of renal cell carcinoma tumors to identify tumor-specific antigens
Project Title: Molecular analysis and precision medicine in renal cell carcinoma
Source: NIH Mentored Career Development Award in Biomedical Big Data Science (K01)
Description: This study focuses on the analysis of genome-scale molecular data to discover predictors of medical treatment success in patients with renal cell carcinoma.
Project Title: Rapid lymphocyte enrichment and expansion using tumor-specific neoantigens in urothelial cell carcinoma
Source: Greenberg Bladder Cancer Institute
Description: This study utilizes a novel technology to select lymphocyte clones that are stimulated by computationally-predicted, tumor-specific peptides.
Project Title: Longitudinal blood-based analyses in post-prostatectomy men
Source: Patrick C. Walsh Prostate Cancer Research Fund
Description: This study utilizes collects longitudinal blood samples in post-prostatectomy men and performs proteomic analyses to determine a blood-based signature of the prostate and prostate cancer.
- DEA (2,2N,3,3N,4,5)
- Maryland CDS
- Maryland License
- American Urological Association urologic robotic surgery
- daVinci® Robotic Surgical System Certification (Intuitive Surgical, Inc.)
- Botox® (onobotulinum) toxin administration
- Extracorporeal Shockwave Lithotripsy (ESWL)
- Greenlight® photoselective vaporization of prostate
- Interstim® sacral neuromodulator placement
- Laser lithotripsy
- Johnson FE, Johnson MH, Virgo KS: Current follow-up strategies after potentially curative resection of upper aerodigestive tract epidermoid. International Journal of Oncology 10:927-931, 1997.
- Johnson FE, Virgo KS, Clemente MF, Johnson MH, Paniello RC:How tumor stage affects surgeons’ surveillance strategies after surgery for carcinoma of the upper aerodigestive tract. Cancer 82(10): 1932-1937, 1998. PMID: 9587127
- Paniello RC, Virgo KS, Johnson MH, Clemente MF, Johnson FE. Practice patterns and clinical guidelines for posttreatment follow-up of head and neck cancers: A comparison of two professional societies. Archives of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery125(3):324" 09-313,1999. PMID: 10190803
- Clark JG, Virgo KS, Clemente MF, Johnson MH, Paniello RC, Johnson, FE. How surgeon age affects post-treatment surveillance strategies for upper aerodigestive tract cancer patients. American Journal of Otolaryngology 20(4):217-222,1999. PMID: 10442773
- Patterson JMM, Johnson MH, Zimonjic D, and Graubert TA. Characterization of Ly-6M, a novel member of the Ly-6 family of hematopoietic proteins. Blood 95(10): 3125-3132, 2000. PMID: 10807778
- Virgo KS, Paniello RC, Johnson MH, Clemente MF, Johnson FE. Surgical Decision making in upper aerodigestive tract cancer patient follow-up. International Journal of Oncology. 21(5):1101-1109, 2002. PMID: 12370761
- Marzolf, Bruz and Johnson MH: Validation of Microarray Image Analysis Accuracy. Biotechniques 36(2):304-308, 2004. PMID: 14989095
- Lausted C, Dahl T, King K, Smith KA, Johnson MH, Hood L, Lasky SR. POSAM: A fast, flexible, open source, piezoelectric oligonucleotide synthesizer and microarrayer. Genome Biology. 2004;5(8):R58. Epub 2004 Jul 27. PMID:
- Marzolf B, Deutsch EW, Moss P, Campbell D, Johnson MH, Galitski T. SBEAMS-Microarray: Database software supporting genomic expression analyses for systems biology. BMC Bioinformatics. 7(1):286 Jun 2006. PMID:16756676
- Deutsch EW, Ball CA, Bova GS, Brazma A, Bumgarner RE, Campbell D, Causton HC, Christiansen J, Davidson D, Eichner LJ, Goo YA, Grimmond S, Henrich T, Johnson MH, Korb M, Mills JC, Oudes A, Parkinson HE, Pascal LE, Quackenbush J, Ramialison M, Ringwald M, Sansone SA, Sherlock G, Stoeckert CJ Jr, Swedlow J, Taylor RC, Walashek L, Zhou Y, Liu AY, True LD. Development of the Minimum Information Specification for In Situ Hybridization and Immunohistochemistry Experiments (MISFISHIE). OMICS. 10(2):205-208 Jun 2006. PMID: 16901227
- Johnson, FE, Johnson MH, Clemente MF, Paniello RC, Virgo KS. Geographical variation in surveillance strategies after curative-intent surgery for upper aerodigestive tract cancer. Annals of Surgical Oncology. 2006 Aug;13(8):1063-1071. PMID: 16791449
- Bonneau R, Facciotti MT, Reiss DJ, Schmid AK, Pan M, Kaur A, Thorsson V, Shannon P, Johnson MH, Bare JC, Longabaugh W, Vuthoori M, Whitehead K, Madar A, Suzuki L, Mori T, Chang DE, Diruggiero J,Johnson CH, Hood L, Baliga NS. A predictive model for transcriptional control of physiology in a free living cell. Cell. 2007 Dec 28;131(7):1354-1365. PMID
- Deutsch EW, Ball CA, Berman JJ, Bova GS, Brazma A, Bumgarner RE, Campbell D, Causton HC, Christiansen JH, Daian F, Dauga D, Davidson DR, Gimenez G, Goo YA, Grimmond S, Henrich T, Herrmann BG, Johnson MH, Korb M, Mills JC, Oudes AJ, Parkinson HE, Pascal LE, Pollet N, Quackenbush J, Ramialison M, Ringwald M, Salgado D, Sansone SA, Sherlock G, Stoeckert CJ Jr, Swedlow J, Taylor RC, Walashek L, Warford A, Wilkinson DG, Zhou Y, Zon LI, Liu AY, True LD. Minimum information specification for in situ hybridization and immunohistochemistry experiments (MISFISHIE). Nature Biotechnology. 2008 Mar;26(3):305-312. PMID 18327244
- Sorensen MD, Johnson MH, Delostrinos C, Bice J, Grady RW, Lendvay TS: Initiation of a Pediatric Robotic Surgery Program: Institutional Challenges and Realistic Outcomes. Surgical Endoscopy, 24(11):2803, 2010. PMID: 20376494
- Sorensen MD, Delostrinos C, Johnson MH, Grady RW, Lendvay TS. Comparison of the learning curve and outcomes of robotic assisted pediatric pyeloplasty. J Urol. 2011 Jun;185(6 Suppl): 2517-22. PMID: 21555027
- Johnson MH, Ferguson GG, Klutke CG. Antegrade endoscopic removal of retained urethral sling mesh in the bladder. J Endourl. 2012 Aug;26(8):980-2. PMID 22416671
- Johnson MH, Nepple KG, Peck V, Trinkhaus K, Klim A, Sandhu GS, Kibel AS. Randomized controlled trial of oxybutynin extended release versus placebo for urinary symptoms during intravesical Bacillus Calmette-Guérin treatment. J Urol. 2013 Apr;189(4):1268-74.PMID 23123375
- Johnson MH, Chang A, Brandes SB. The value of the digital rectal exam in assessing for pelvic fracture associated urethral injury: what defines a high riding or nonpalpable prostate? J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2013 Nov;75(5): 913-5. PMID #24158216
- Larson JA, Johnson MH, Bhayani SB. Application of surgical safety standards to robotic surgery: five principles of ethics for nonmaleficence. J Am Coll Surg 2014 Feb; 218(2):290-3. PMID #24315652
- Mobley JM, Kim EH, Larson JA, Figenshau RS, Vetter JM, Johnson MH, Bhayani S. Patients with pathologically proven renal disease have similar declines in renal function following robotic-assisted partial nephrectomy. J Endourol. 2014 Sep 19. PMID #25238210
- Kim EH, Johnson MH, Andriole GL. Re: A prospective, blinded comparison of Magnetic Resonance (MR) imaging-ultrasound fusion and visual estimation in the performance of MR-targeted prostate Biopsy: the PROFUS trial. Eur Urol. 2014 Sep;66(3):595 PMID #25306180
- Kim EH, Vemana G, Johnson MH, Vetter JM, Rensing AJ, Strother MC, Fowler KJ, Andriole GL. Magnetic resonance imaging-targeted vs. conventional transrectal ultrasound-guided prostate biopsy: Single-institution, matched cohort comparison. Urol Oncol. 2015 Mar;33(3):109.e1-6. PMID #25655682
- Pierorazio PM, Johnson MH, Ball MW, Gorin MA, Trock BJ, Chang P, Wagner AA, McKiernan JM, Allaf ME. Five-year analysis of a multi-institutional, prospective clinical trial of delayed intervention and surveillance for small renal masses: the DISSRM registry. Eur Urol. 2015 Sep:68(3):408-15. PMID #25698065
- Ross A, Yousefi K, Davicioni E, Ghadessi M, Johnson MH, Sundi D, Tosoian JJ, Han M, Humphreys EB, Partin AW, Walsh PC, Trock BJ, Schaeffer EM. Utility of risk models in decision making after radical prostatectomy: lessons from a natural history cohort of intermediate and high risk men. Eur Urol. 2015 Apr 25. Epub ahead of print. PMID #25922274
- Yamoah K*, Johnson MH*, Choeurng V, Faisal FA, Yousefi K, Haddad Z, Ross AE, Alshalafa M, Den R, Lal P, Feldman M, Dicker AP, Klein EA, Davicioni E, Rebbeck TR, Schaeffer EM. A novel biomarker signature which may predict aggressive disease in African-American men with prostate cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2015 Sep 1;33(25):2789-96. PMID # 26195723
- Ross AE, Johnson MH, Yousefi K, Davicioni E, Netto GJ, Marchionni L, Fedor HL, Glavaris S, Choeurng V, Buerki C, Erho N, Lam LL, Humphreys EB, Faraj S, Bezerra SM, Han M, Partin AW, Trock BJ, Schaeffer EM. Tissue based genomics augments post-prostatectomy risk stratification in a natural history cohort of intermediate- and high-risk men. Eur Urol. 2016 Jan;69(1):157-65. PMID #26058959
- Potretzke AM, Knight BA, Zargar H, Kaouk JH, Barod R, Rogers CG, Mass A, Stifelman MD, Johnson MH, Allaf ME, Sherburne Figenshau R, Bhayani SB. Urinary fistula after robot-assisted partial nephrectomy: a multicenter analysis of 1,791 patients. BJU Int. 2015 Aug 1. Epub ahead of print
- Johnson, MH. Tailored prostate cancer survivorship: one size does not fit all. BJU Int. Accepted, in press
- Abdullah N, Deepansh D, Barod R, Larson J, Johnson M, Mass A, Zargar H, Allaf M, Bhayani S, Stifelman M, Kaouk J, Rogers C. Robotic partial nephrectomy for renal tumors in obese patients: perioperative outcomes in a multi-institutional analysis. Can Urol Assoc J. 2015;9(11-12):E859-62. PMID # 26788235
- Faraj SF, Bezerra SM, Yousefi K, Fedor H, Glavaris S, Han M, Partin AW, Humphreys E, Tosoian J, Johnson MH, Davicioni E, Trock BJ, Schaeffer EM, Ross AE, Netto GJ. Clinical Validation of the 2005 ISUP Gleason Grading System in a Cohort of Intermediate and High Risk Men Undergoing Radical Prostatectomy. PLOS One. 2016 Jan 5;11(1):e0146189. PMID #26731672
- Abdullah N, Rahbar H, Barod R, Deppansh D, Larson J, Johnson M, Mass A, Zargar H, Allaf M, Bhayani S, Stifelman M, Kaouk J, Rogers C. Multicenter outcomes of robotic partial nephrectomy after major open abdominal surgery. BJUI. Accepted, in press
- Johnson MH, Ross AE, Alshalalfa M, Erho N, Yousefi K, Glavaris S, Fedor H, Han M, Faraj SF, Bezerra SM, Netto G, Partin AW, Trock BJ, Davicioni E, Schaeffer EM. SPINK1 defines a molecular subtype of prostate cancer in men with more rapid progression in an at-risk, natural history radical prostatectomy cohort. J Urol. Accepted, in press.
- Chapadi MR [AUTHORS] Lymph Node Yield and Tumor Location in Upper Tract Urothelial Carcinoma Patients Undergoing Nephroureterectomy. Urol Oncol. Accepted, in press.
- Sheref YM, Johnson MH, Traxel EJ, Khanna G. Case report: torsion of a cryptorchid testicle in an infant. Emerg Radiol. 2011 Dec;18(6):487-9. PMID #21674169
- Johnson MH, Strope SA. Encrusted Cystitis. Urology. 2012 Mar;79(3):e31-2. PMID #22386439
- Johnson MH, Brandes SB, Humphrey PA. Recurrent and metastatic malignant melanoma of the penis. J Urol. 2012 Apr;187(4):1438-9. PMID: #22341277
- Johnson MH, Nepple KG, Humphrey PA. Bladder lymphoma J Urol. 2012 Jul;18(1): 269-70. PMID #22608747
- Johnson MH, Grubb RL, Humphrey PA. Adenocarcinoma in an Ileal Conduit. J Urol. 2013 Feb;189(2):697-8. PMID #23159279
- Johnson MH, Cavallo JA, Figenshau RS. Malignant and metastatic pheochromocytoma: case report and review of the literature. Urology Case Reports. 2014 July; 2(4):139-141
- Johnson MH, Song JB, Dehner LP, Figenshau RS. Epithelioid angiomyolipoma in a pediatric patient: case report and review of the literature. Urology Case Reports. 2014 Sep; 2(5):159-161
- Raup V, Johnson MH, Weese JR, Hagemann IS, Marshall SD, Brandes SB. Seminoma presenting as renal mass, inferior vena caval thrombus, and regressed testicular mass. Case Reports in Urology. Vol. 2015, article ID 835962, 4 pages. doi:10.1155/2015/835962
- Johnson MH, Khani F, Schaeffer EM. Iatrogenic extraprostatic extension of prostate cancer from a needle biopsy. Urology Case Reports. 2015 May:3;56-58. PMCID #4714265
- Johnson MH, Carter HB. Stromal Tumor of Uncertain Malignant Potential (STUMP) with PSA >500ng/ml: a case report. Urology Case Reports. 2015 Aug 28 (3): 175-177. PMCID #4672671
- Alam R, Toisoian JJ, Pierorazio PM, Johnson MH. Distant metastases from a small renal cell carcinoma: a case report. Urology Case Reports. Urology Case Reports. 2016 Jan (4): 59-60. PMCID #4719795
- Alam R, Johnson MH, Caldwell T, Pavlovich C, Bivalacqua TJ, Toisoian JJ. Diagnosing and treating inflammatory myofibroblastic tumor of the bladder. Case Reports in Urology. Case Reports in Urology, vol. 2016, Article ID 5724020, 3 pages, 2016. doi:10.1155/2016/5724020.
Book Chapters, Monographs
- Johnson MH, Allaf ME. The da Vinci Surgical System. In Atlas of Laparoscopic Retroperitoneal Surgery. 3rd ed., edited by Bishoff JT and Kavoussi LR, Saunders, Accepted, awaiting publication.
- Johnson MH, Brandes SB, Coplen DE. Pediatric Urethral Strictures. In Advanced Male Urethral and Genital Reconstructive Surgery. 2nd ed., edited by Brandes SB and Morey AF. Humana press, 2014.
Other Media (Videos, Websites, Blogs, Social Media, etc.)
- Johnson MH, Mobley JM, Figenshau RS. Retroperitoneal access for robotic-assisted renal surgery. J Endourol Part B Videourology.. DOI:10.1089/vid.2013.0025
Urology Care Foundation Research Scholars Program award (2015-2016)
Morris Abrams Award, most compassionate resident (2014)
Sexual Medicine Society Men’s Health Travelling Fellowship Award (2013)
Washington University Resident Teacher of the Year (2012)
IVUmed Travelling Resident Scholarship (2012)
William J. von Liebig Fellowship in vascular surgery (2006)
Dartmouth College Presidential Scholar (2000)