Assistant Professor of Urology, Oncology, and Radiology
Director, Urology Clinical Trials
- 2007-2011 – M.D. with Distinction in Research, University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL, USA
- 2003-2007 – B.S. with Distinction in Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
- 2012-2017 – Urology Residency, Department of Urology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, MD, USA
- 2011-2012 – General Surgery Internship, Department of Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Licensure & Certification
- USMLE Step 1
- USMLE Step 2 CK
- USMLE Step 2 CS
- USMLE Step 3
- American Board of Urology Part I
1. Elstrodt F, Hollestelle A, Nagel JH, Gorin M, Wasielewski M, van den Ouweland A, Merajver SD, Ethier SP, Schutte M. BRCA1 mutation analysis of 41 human breast cancer cell lines reveals three new deleterious mutants. Cancer Res 2006; 66(1): 41-5.
2. Gorin MA, Pan Q. Protein kinase Cε: an oncogene and emerging tumor biomarker. Mol Cancer 2009; 8(1): 9.
3. Bao LW, Gorin MA, Zhang M, Ventura AC, Pomerantz WC, Merajver SD, Teknos TN, Mapp AK, Pan Q. Preclinical development of a bifunctional cancer cell homing, PKCε inhibitory peptide for the treatment of head and neck cancer. Cancer Res 2009; 69(14): 5829-34.
4. Khan GN, Gorin MA, Rosenthal D, Pan Q, Bao LW, Wu ZF, Newman RA, Pawlus AD, Yang P, Lansky EP, Merajver SD. Pomegranate fruit extract impairs invasion and motility in human breast cancer. Integr Cancer Ther 2009; 8(3): 242-53.
5. Shatry A, Chirinos J, Gorin MA, Jones M, Levy RB. Targeting Treg cells in situ: emerging expansion strategies for (CD4+CD25+) regulatory T cells. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2009;15(10): 1239-43.
6. Pan Q, Gorin MA, Teknos TN. Pharmacotherapy of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2009;10(14): 2291-302.
7. Iniesta MD, Gorin MA, Chien LC, Thomas SM, Douglas JD, Milliron KJ, Merajver SD. Absence of 1100delC CHEK2 mutation in families with hereditary breast cancer in North America. Cancer Genet Cytogenet 2010; 202(2): 136-40.
8. Soloway MS, Gorin MA, Katkoori D. Definitive therapy for cancer: is our message clear? Eur Urol 2010; 58(2): 256-57.
9. Gorin MA, Manoharan M, Shah G, Eldefrawy A, Soloway MS. Salvage open radical prostatectomy after failed radiation therapy: a single center experience. Cent European J Urol 2011; 64(3): 144-7.
10. Ekwenna O, Gorin MA, Castellan M, Casillas V, Ciancio G. Inverted nutcracker syndrome: a case of persistent hematuria and pain in the presence of a left-sided inferior vena cava. TheScientificWorldJOURNAL: TSW Urology 2011; 5(11): 1031-5.
11. Gorin MA, Shirodkar SP, Young E, Ciancio G. En bloc mobilization of the spleen, pancreas and colon during hand-assisted laparoscopic left donor nephrectomy. Eur Urol 2011; 60(3): 601-2.
12. Gorin MA, Santos Cortes JA, Kyle CC, Carey RI, Bird VG. Initial clinical experience with use of ureteral access sheaths in the diagnosis and treatment of upper tract urothelial carcinoma. Urology 2011; 78(3): 523-7.
13. Shirodkar SP, Gorin MA, Sageshima J, Bird VG, Martinez JM, Guerra G, Zarak A, Chen L, Burke GW, Ciancio G. Technical modification for laparoscopic donor nephrectomy to minimize testicular pain: a complication with significant morbidity. Am J Transplant 2011; 11(5): 1031-4.
14. Salas N, Gorin MA, Gorbatiy V, Castle SM, Bird VG, Leveillee RJ. Laparoendoscopic single site nephrectomy with the SPIDER surgical system: engineering advancements tested in a porcine model. J Endourol 2011; 25(5): 739-42.
15. Gorin MA, Antebi E, Manoharan M, Bird VG. Endoscopic retrieval of a retained self-expanding metal stent placed for a ureteroileal anastomotic stricture. J Endourol 2011; 25(6): 911-2.
16. Leveillee RJ, Castle SM, Gorin MA, Salas N, Gorbatiy V. Initial experience with LESS simple nephrectomy using the TransEnterix SPIDER surgical system: assessing feasibility and safety. J Endourol 2011; 25(6): 923-5.
17. Gorin MA, Soloway CT, Eldefrawy A, Soloway MS. Factors that influence patient enrollment in active surveillance for low-risk prostate cancer. Urology 2011; 77(3): 588-91.
18. Gorin MA, Ramanathan R, Leveillee RJ. Laparoscopic techniques applied to open surgery: sliding-clip renorrhaphy. Urology 2011; 77(3): 751-3.
19. Gorin MA, Kava BR, Leveillee RJ. Video demonstrations as an intraoperative teaching aid for surgical assistants. Eur Urol 2011; 59(2): 306-7.
20. Jenkins LC, Gorin MA, Ciancio G. Words of Wisdom. Re: Radical nephrectomy and inferior vena cava thrombectomy: outcomes in a lower volume practice. Eur Urol 2011; 60(6): 1305-6.
21. Garcia-Roig M, Gorin MA, Castellian M, Ciancio G. OMNEX surgical sealant in the extracorporeal repair of renal artery aneurysms. Ann Vasc Surg 2011; 25(8): 1141.e5-8.
22. Gahan J, Shirodkar SP, Gorin MA, Salerno TA, Ciancio G. Surgical resection of a virilizing adrenal mass with extensive tumor thrombus. Can J Urol 2011; 18(3): 5735-8.
23. Landy DC, Gorin MA, O’Connell MT. Student Led Rural Health Fairs: Attempting to improve medical education and access to healthcare. South Med J 2011; 104(8): 598-603.
24. Gorin MA, Ayyathurai R, Soloway MS. Transurethral management of urothelial carcinoma of the bladder. AUA Update Series 2011; 30(23): 209-20.
25. Soloway MS, Garcia-Roig M, Gorin MA, Ayyathurai R. How can we improve outcomes for upper tract urothelial carcinoma? Eur Urol 2012; 61(2): 254-6.
26. Garcia-Roig M, Gorin MA, Jorda M. Evaluation and management of small renal masses: looking beyond the tumor margin. Curr Urol Rep 2012; 13(1): 1-7.
27. Gorina MA, Garcia-Roig M, Burke GW, Ciancio G. Emergent renal revascularization of a simultaneous kidney-transplant recipient. Transplantation 2012; 93(4): e16-7.
28. Gorin MA, Ekwenna O, Soloway MS, Ciancio G. Dramatic reduction in tumor burden with neoadjuvant sunitinib prior to bilateral nephron-sparing surgery. Urology 2012; 79(2): e11.
29. Gorin MA, Garcia-Roig M, Shirodkar SP, Gonzalez J, Ciancio G. Modified surgical technique for the management of renal cell carcinoma with level I or II tumor thrombus. Urology 2012; 79(2): 478-81.
30. Gorin MA, Garcia-Roig M, Shirodkar SP, Gonzalez J, Ciancio G. Reply to Comment Re: Modified surgical technique for the management of renal cell carcinoma with level I or II tumor thrombus. Urology 2012; 79(2): 481-2.
31. Gorin MA, Gahan J, Antebi E, Carey RI, Bird VG. Laparoscopic-guided radiofrequency ablation is safe for the treatment of enhancing renal masses among patients prescribed antithrombotic agents. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost 2012; 18(1): 35-9.
32. Castle SM, Gorbatiy V, Salas N, Gorin MA, Landman J, Leveillee RJ. Development and evaluation of a novel cadaveric model for performance of image-guided percutaneous renal tumor ablation. J Surg Educ 2012; 69(1): 30-3.
33. Gorin MA, Garcia-Roig M, Ciancio G. Words of Wisdom. Re: Posterior lumbar vein off the retrohepatic inferior vena cava: a novel anatomical variant with surgical implications. Eur Urol 2012; 61(4): 849.
34. Soloway MS, Gorin MA. Words of Wisdom. Re: Adjuvant radiotherapy following radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer. Eur Urol 2012; 61(5): 1065.
35. Gorin MA, Ayyathurai R Soloway MS. Diagnosis and treatment of bladder cancer: how can we improve? Postgrad Med 2012; 124(3): 28-36.
36. Gorin MA, Gorbatiy V, Glenn C, Shirodkar SP, Castle SM, Jorda M, Leveillee RJ. Salvage robot-assisted partial nephrectomy for the management of renal cell carcinoma following failed primary treatment with stereotactic radiotherapy. JSLS 2012; 16(1): 159-62.
37. Gorin MA, Eldefrawy A, Manoharan M, Soloway MS. Oncologic outcomes following radical prostatectomy with intraoperative cell salvage. World J Urol 2012; 30(3): 379-83.
38. Gorin MA, Eldefrawy A, Ekwenna O, Soloway MS. Active surveillance for low-risk prostate cancer: knowledge, acceptance and practice among urologists. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 2012; 15(2): 177-81.
39. Moore C, Shirodkar SP, Avallone M, Castle SM, Gorin MA, Gorbatiy V, Leveillee RJ. Intravesical methylene blue facilitates precise identification of the diverticular neck during robot-assisted laparoscopic bladder diverticulectomy. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 2012; 22(5): 492-5.
40. Soloway MS, Iremashvili V, Gorin MA, Eldefrawy A, Satyanarayana R, Manoharan M. Surgical margin status does not affect overall survival following radical prostatectomy: a single institution experience with expectant management. Can J Urol 2012; 19(3): 6280-6.
41. Gorin MA, Allaf ME. Radiofrequency ablation of small renal mass–more work required. Nat Rev Urol 2012; 9(6): 297-8.
42. Landy DC, Gorin MA, MD, Egusquiza JD, Weiss J, O’Connell MT. Medical student attitudes before and after participating in rural health fairs. J Res Med Sci 2012; 17(3): 298-303.
43. Ayyathurai R, Garcia-Roig M, Gorin MA, González J, Manoharan M, Kava BR, Soloway MS, Ciancio G. Bland thrombus association with tumor thrombus in renal cell carcinoma: analysis of surgical significance and role of inferior vena caval interruption. BJU Int 2012; 110(11 Pt B): E449-55.
44. Joshi S, Gorin MA, Ayyathurai R, Ciancio G. Development of a surgical safety checklist for the performance of radical nephrectomy and tumor thrombectomy. Patient Saf Surg 2012; 6(1): 27.
45. Gorin MA, Allaf ME. Editorial Comment Re: A single overnight stay is possible for the majority patients undergoing robotic partial nephrectomy. Urology 2013; 81(2): 307.
46. Gorin MA, Mullins JK, Allaf ME. Metastatic non-seminomatous germ cell tumor with vena cava and vertebral involvement. Int J Urol 2013; 20(4): 459-60.
47. González J, Ciancio G, Gorin MA. Long-term survival after radical surgery for renal cell carcinoma with tumour thrombus. BJU Int 2013; 111(3): E8-9.
48. Garcia-Roig M, Gorin MA, Parra-Herran C, Garcia-Buitrago M, Kava BR, Jorda M, Soloway MS, Manoharan M, Ciancio G. Pathologic evaluation of non-neoplastic renal parenchyma in partial nephrectomy specimens. World J Urol 2013; 31(4): 835-9.
49. Castle SM, Gorin MA, Gorbatiy V, Leveillee RJ. Preoperative patient counseling for diagnostic renal biopsy and complications with renal radiofrequency ablation. World J Urol 2013; 31(5): 1105-10.
50. Gorin MA, Gonzalez J, Garcia-Roig M, Ciancio G. Transplantation techniques for the resection of renal cell carcinoma with tumor thrombus: a technical description and review. Urol Oncol 2013; 31(8): 1780-7.
51. Gorin MA, Garcia-Roig M, Garcia-Buitrago M, Parra-Herran C, Jorda M, Ciancio G. Atherosclerosis within the non-neoplastic margin of partial nephrectomy specimens: implications for medical management. World J Urol 2013; 31(6): 1531-4.
52. Gorin MA, Sagalowsky AI, Soloway MS. Editorial Comment Re: Upper urinary tract recurrence following radical cystectomy for bladder cancer: a meta-analysis on 13,185 patients. J Urol 2013; 190(1): 360-1.
53. Landy DC, Gorin MA, Rudock RJ, O’Connell MT. Increasing access to cholesterol screening in rural communities catalyzes cardiovascular disease prevention. J Rural Health 2013; 29(4): 360-7.
54. Joshi S, Gorin MA, Ciancio G. Release of the inferior vena cava ligament during caval thrombectomy causing tumor thrombus embolization. Urol Int 2013; 90(4): 490-2.
55. Gorin MA, Mullins JK, Pierorazio PM, Jayram G, Allaf ME. Increased intra-abdominal fat predicts perioperative complications following minimally invasive partial nephrectomy. Urology 2013; 81(6): 1225-30.
56. Allaf ME, Gorin MA. Editorial Comment Re: Robotic partial nephrectomy for renal cell carcinomas with venous tumor thrombus. Urology 2013; 81(6): 1367.
57. Bivalacqua TJ, Pierorazio PM, Gorin MA, Allaf ME, Carter HB, Walsh PC. Anatomical extent of pelvic lymph node dissection: impact on long-term cancer-specific outcomes in men with positive lymph nodes at time of radical prostatectomy. Urology 2013; 82(3): 635-8.
58. Bivalacqua TJ, Gorin MA, Walsh PC. Reply to Editorial Comment Re: Anatomical extent of pelvic lymph node dissection: impact on long-term cancer-specific outcomes in men with positive lymph nodes at time of radical prostatectomy. Urology 2013; 82(3): 659.
59. Pierorazio PM, Gorin MA, Ross AE, Feng Z, Trock BJ, Schaeffer EM, Han M, Epstein JI, Partin AW, Walsh PC, Bivalacqua TJ. Pathological and oncologic outcomes for men with positive lymph nodes at radical prostatectomy: the Johns Hopkins Hospital 30-year experience. Prostate 2013; 73(15): 1673-80.
60. Ball MW, Gorin MA, Allaf ME. Reducing morbidity of pelvic and retroperitoneal lymphadenectomy. Curr Urol Rep 2013; 14(5): 488-95.
61. Khalifeh A, Kaouk JH, Bhayani S, Rogers C, Stifelman M, Tanagho YS, Kumar R, Gorin MA, Sivarajan G, Samarasekera D, Allaf ME. Positive surgical margins in robot assisted partial nephrectomy: a multi-institutional analysis of oncological outcomes (leave no tumor behind). J Urol 2013; 190(5): 1674-9.
62. Gorin MA, Ball MW, Pierorazio PM, Tanagho YS, Bhayani SB, Kaouk JH, Rogers CG, Stifelman MD, Khalifeh A, Kumar R, Sivarajan G, Allaf ME. Outcomes and predictors of clinical T1 to pathologic T3a tumor upstaging following robotic partial nephrectomy: a multi-institutional analysis. J Urol 2013; 190(5): 1907-11.
63. Patel HD, Kates M, Pierorazio PM, Hyams ES, Gorin MA, Ball MW, Bhayani SB, Hui X, Thompson CB, Allaf ME. Survival after diagnosis of localized T1a kidney cancer: current population-based practice of surgery and nonsurgical management. Urology 2014; 83(1): 126-33.
64. Kates M, Gorin MA, Deibert CM, Pierorazio PM, Schoenberg MP, McKiernan JM, Bivalacqua TJ. In-hospital death and hospital-acquired complications among patients undergoing partial cystectomy for bladder cancer in the United States. Urol Oncol 2014; 32(1): 53.e9-53.e14.
65. Gonzalez J, Gorin MA, Garcia-Roig M, Ciancio G. Inferior vena cava resection and reconstruction: technical considerations in the surgical management of renal cell carcinoma with tumor thrombus. Urol Oncol 2014; 32(1): 34.e19-26.
66. Reese AC, Ball MW, Gandhi N, Gorin MA, Netto GJ, Bivalacqua TJ, Schoenberg MP. The utility of an extensive postchemotherapy staging evaluation in patients receiving neoadjuvant chemotherapy for bladder cancer. Urology 2014; 84(2): 358-63.
67. Kumar RK, Sammon JD, Kaczmarek BF, Khalifeh A, Gorin MA, Sivarajan G, Tanagho YS, Bhayani SB, Stifelman MD, Allaf ME, Kaouk JH, Rogers CG. Robot-assisted partial nephrectomy in patients with baseline chronic kidney disease: a multi-institutional propensity score-matched analysis. Eur Urol 2014; 65(6): 1205-10.
68. Gorin MA, Chalfin HJ, Epstein JI, Feng Z, Partin AW, Trock BJ. Predicting the risk of non–organ-confined prostate cancer when perineural invasion is found on biopsy. Urology 2014; 83(5): 1117-21.
69. Garcia-Roig M, Castellan M, González J, Gorin MA, Cruz-Diaz O, Labbie A, Gosalbez R, Sigmoid vaginoplasty with a modified single-Monti tube: a pediatric case series. J Urol 2014; 191(5 Suppl): 1537-42.
70. Gorin MA, Kates M, Mullins JK, Pierorazio PM, Matlaga BR, Schoenberg MP, Bivalacqua TJ. Impact of hospital volume on perioperative outcomes and costs of radical cystectomy: analysis of the Maryland Health Services Cost Review Commission database. Can J Urol 2014; 21(1): 7102-7.
71. Harris KT, Ball MW, Gorin MA, Curtiss KM, Pierorazio PM, Allaf M. Transperitoneal robot-assisted partial nephrectomy: a comparison of posterior and anterior renal masses. Journal Endourol 2014; 28(6): 655-9.
72. Reese AC, Johnson PT, Gorin MA, Pierorazio PM, Allaf MR, Fishman EK, Netto GJ, Pavlovich CP. Radiographic findings and pathological characteristics of complex renal cysts. Urol Oncol 2014; 32(7): 1010-6.
73. Kern AJM, Inouye B, Ko JS, Gorin MA, Allaf ME, Goldstein S, DiCarlo HN, Shah BB, Wang MH. Impact of nephrectomy on long-term renal function in non-syndromic children treated for unifocal Wilms tumor. J Pediatr Urol 2014; 10(4): 662-6.
74. Patel HD, Kates M, Pierorazio PM, Gorin MA, Jayram G, Ball MW, Hyams ES, Allaf ME. Comorbidities and causes of death in the management of localized T1a kidney cancer. Int J Urol 2014; 21(11): 1086-92.
75. Curtiss KM, Ball MW, Gorin MA, Harris KT, Pierorazio PM, Allaf ME. Perioperative outcomes of robotic partial nephrectomy for intrarenal tumors. J Endourol 2015; 29(3): 293-6.
76. Max Kates M, Ball MW, Patel HD, Gorin MA, Pierorazio PM, Allaf ME. The financial impact of robotic technology for partial and radical nephrectomy. J Endourol 2015; 29(3): 317-22.
77. Ball MW, Bezerra SM, Gorin MA, Cowan M, Pavlovich CP, Pierorazio PM, Netto GJ, Allaf ME. Grade heterogeneity in small renal masses: potential implications for renal mass biopsy. J Urol 2015; 193(1): 36-40.
78. Rowe SP, Gorin MA, Gordetsky J, Ball MW, Pierorazio PM, Higuchi T, Epstein JI, Allaf, Javadi MS. Initial experience using 99mTc-sestamibi SPECT/CT for the differentiation of oncocytoma from renal cell carcinoma. Clin Nucl Med 2015; 40(4): 309-13.
79. Ludwig W, Gorin MA, Allaf ME. Reducing the cost of robotic partial nephrectomy through innovative instrument use. Eur Urol 2015; 67(3): 594-5.
80. Ball MW, Gorin MA, Jayram G, Pierorazio PM, Allaf ME. Robot-assisted radical nephrectomy with inferior vena cava tumor thrombectomy: technique and initial outcomes. Can J Urol 2015; 22(1): 7666-70.
81. Marconi L, Gorin MA, Allaf ME. Post partial nephrectomy surveillance imaging: an evidence-based approach. Curr Urol Rep 2015; 16(4): 23.
82. Gorin MA, Ball MW, Pierorazio PM, Argani P, Allaf ME. Partial nephrectomy for the treatment of translocation renal cell carcinoma. Clin Genitourin Cancer 2015; 13(3) e199-201.
83. Ball MW, Gorin MA, Bhayani SB, Rogers CG, Stifelman MD, Kaouk JH, Zargar H, Marshall S, Larson JA, Rahbar HM, Trock BJ, Pierorazio, Allaf ME. Preoperative predictors of malignancy and unfavorable pathology for clinical T1a tumors treated with partial nephrectomy: a multi-institutional analysis. Urol Oncol 2015; 33(3): 112.e9-14.
84. Gorin MA, Soloway MS. Active surveillance with delayed intervention for recurrent low-risk bladder cancer. Urology Practice 2015; 2(5): 256-59.
85. Pierorazio PM, Johnson MH, Ball MW, Gorin MA, Trock BJ, Chang P, Wagner AA, McKiernan JM, Allaf ME. Five-year analysis of a multi-institutional prospective clinical trial of delayed intervention and surveillance for small renal masses: the DISSRM registry. Eur Urol 2015; 68(3): 408-15.
86. Harris KT, Ball MW, Gorin MA, Allaf ME, Pierorazio PM. Outcomes of partial nephrectomy in patients who meet percutaneous ablation criteria. Cent European J Urol 2015; 68(2): 132-6.
87. Gorin MA, Rowe SP, Allaf ME. Nuclear imaging of renal tumours: a step towards improved risk stratification. Nat Rev Urol 2015; 12(8): 445-50.
88. Gorin MA, Rowe SP, Allaf ME. Envisioning a novel approach for the risk stratification of small renal tumors. Kidney Cancer Journal 2015; 13(3): 54-59.
89. Ludwig W, Gorin MA, Ball MW, Schaeffer EM, Han M, Allaf ME. Instrument life for robot assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy and partial nephrectomy: are ten lives for most instruments justified? Urology 2015; 86(5): 942-6.
90. Gorin MA, Rowe SP, Allaf ME, Argani P. Angiomyolipoma with epithelial cysts: add one to the differential of cystic renal lesions. Int J Urol 2015; 22(11): 1081-2.
91. Rowe SP, Gorin MA, Hammers HJ, Javadi MS, Hawasli H, Szabo Z, Cho SY, Pomper MG, Allaf ME. Imaging of metastatic clear cell renal cell carcinoma with PSMA-Targeted 18F-DCFPyL PET/CT. Ann Nucl Med 2015; 29(10): 877-82.
92. Yang X, Minn I, Rowe SP, Banerjee SR, Gorin MA, Brummet M, Lee HS, Koo SM, Sysa-Shah P, Mease RC, Nimmagadda S, Allaf ME, Pomper MG. Imaging of carbonic anhydrase IX with an 111In-labeled dual-motif inhibitor. Oncotarget 2015; 6(32): 33733-42.
93. Gordetsky J, Gorin MA, Canner J, Ball MW, Pierorazio PM, Allaf ME, Epstein JI. Frozen section during partial nephrectomy: does it predict positive margins? BJU Int 2015; 116(6): 868-72.
94. Harris KT, Gorin MA, Ball MW, Pierorazio PM, Allaf ME. A comparative analysis of robotic vs laparoscopic retroperitoneal lymph node dissection for testicular cancer. BJU Int 2015; 116(6): 920-3.
95. Rowe SP, Deville C, Paller C, Cho SY, Fishman EK, Pomper MG, Ross AE, Gorin MA. Uptkae of 18F-DCFPyL in Paget’s disease of bone, an important potential pitfall in clinical interpretation of PSMA PET studies. Tomography 2015; 1(2): 81-4.
96. Nickel JC, Gorin MA, Partin AW, Assimos D, Brawer M, Nicolai H, Chancellor MB, Goggins Á, Loeb S, Shapiro E. Best of the 2015 AUA annual meeting: highlights from the 2015 American Urological Association annual meeting, May 15-19, 2015, New Orleans, LA. Rev Urol 2015; 17(3): 179-89.
97. Campbell SP, Song DY, Pierorazio PM, Allaf ME, Gorin MA. Stereotactic ablative radiotherapy for the treatment of clinically localized renal cell carcinoma. J Oncol 2015; 2015: 1-6.
98. Rowe SP, Mana-ay M, Javadi MS, Szabo Z, Leal JP, Pomper MG, Pienta KJ, Ross AE, Gorin MA. PSMA-based detection of prostate cancer bone lesions with 18F-DCFPyL PET/CT: a sensitive alternative to 99mTc-MDP bone scan and Na18F PET/CT? Clin Genitourin Cancer 2016; 14(1): e115-8.
99. Rowe SP, Gorin MA, Hammers HJ, Allaf ME, Pomper MG, Javadi MS. Detection of 18F-FDG PET/CT occult lesions with 18F-DCFPyL PET/CT in a patient with metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Clin Nucl Med 2016; 41(1): 83-5.
100. Althumairi AA, Canner JK, Gorin MA, Fang SH, Gearhart SL, Wick EC, Safar B, Bivalacqua TJ, Efron JE. Reduction of costs for pelvic exenteration performed by high volume surgeons: analysis of the Maryland health service cost review commission database. Am Surg 2016; 82(1): 46-52.
101. Cheung KJ, Padmanaban V, Silvestri V, Schipper K, Cohen JD, Fairchild AN, Gorin MA, Verdone JE, Pienta KJ, Bader JS, Ewald AJ. Polyclonal breast cancer metastases arise from collective dissemination of keratin 14 expressing tumor cell clusters. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2016; 113(7): E854-63.
102. Chalfin H, Gorin MA, Allaf ME. Editorial comment on: Mayo Adhesive Probability (MAP) ccore is associated with localized renal cell carcinoma progression-free survival. Urology 2016; 89: 61.
103. Gorin MA, Rowe SP, Baras A, Solnes L, Ball MW, Pierorazio PM, Pavlovich CP, Epstein JI, Javadi MS, Allaf ME. Prospective evaluation of 99mTc-sestamibi SPECT/CT for the diagnosis of renal oncocytomas and hybrid oncocytic/chromophobe tumors. Eur Urol 2016; 69(3): 413-6.
104. Gogoi P, Sepehri S, Zhou Y, Gorin MA, Paolillo C, Capoluongo E, Gleason K, Payne A, Boniface B, Fortina P, Cristofanilli M, Morgan TM, Pienta KJ, Handique K, Wang Y. Development of an automated and sensitive microfluidic device for capturing and characterizing circulating tumor cells (CTCs) from clinical blood samples. PLoS ONE 2016; 11(1): e0147400.
105. Tosoian TJ, Reyes DK, Gorin MA, Hortopan S, Partin AW, Pienta KJ, Ross AE, Schaeffer EM. A novel approach for performing bone marrow aspiration at the time of radical prostatectomy. Urol Case Rep 2016; 6: 45-6.
106. Gorin MA, Pomper MG, Rowe SP. PSMA-targeted imaging of prostate cancer: the best is yet to come. BJU Int 2016; 117(5): 715-6.
107. Ball MW, Gorin MA, Harris KT, Curtiss KM, Netto GJ, Pavlovich CP, Pierorazio PM, Allaf ME. Extent of renal vein invasion influences prognosis in patients with renal cell carcinoma. BJU Int 2016; 118(1): 112-7.
108. Gorin MA, Rowe SP, Allaf ME. Oncocytic neoplasm on renal mass biopsy: a clinical conundrum. Oncology (Williston Park) 2016; 30(5): 426-8.
109. Bhatnagar A, Rowe SP, Gorin MA, Pomper MG, Fishman EK, Allaf ME. Computed tomography appearance of renal hybrid oncocytic/chromophobe tumors. J Comput Assist Tomogr 2016; 40(4): 513-6.
110. Rowe SP, Gorin MA, Allaf ME, Pienta KJ, Tran PT, Pomper MG, Ross AE, Cho SY. PET imaging of prostate-specific membrane antigen in prostate cancer: current state of the art and future challenges. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 2016; 19(3): 223-30.
111. Rowe SP, Drzezga A, Neumaier B, Dietlein M, Gorin MA, Zalutsky MR, Pomper MG. Prostate-specific membrane antigen-targeted radiohalogenated PET and therapeutic agents for prostate cancer. J Nucl Med 2016; 57(Suppl 3): 90S-6S.
112. Helmers MR, Ball MW, Gorin MA, Pierorazio PM, Allaf ME. Robotic versus laparoscopic radical nephrectomy: comparative analysis and cost considerations. Can J Urol 2016; 23(5): 8435-40.
113. Ball MW, Gorin MA, Guner G, Pierorazio PM, Netto G, Paller CJ, Hammers HJ, Diaz LA, Allaf ME. Circulating tumor DNA as a marker of therapeutic response in patients with renal cell carcinoma: a pilot study. Clin Genitourin Cancer 2016; 14(5): e515-20.
114. Nickel JC, Gorin MA, Alan W P, Loeb S, Ellen S, Chancellor MB, Assimos DG, Brawer MK, Brucker BM. Best of the 2016 AUA annual meeting: highlights from the 2016 American Urological Association annual meeting, May 6-10, 2016, San Diego, CA. Rev Urol 2016; 18: 159-73.
115. Gorin MA, Rowe SP, Allaf ME. Noninvasive determination of renal tumor histology utilizing molecular imaging. Urol Oncol 2016; 34: 525-8.
116. Minn I, Koo SM, Lee HS, Brummet M, Rowe SP, Gorin MA, Sysa-Shah P, Lewis WD, Ahn HH, Wang Y, Banerjee SR, Mease RC, Nimmagadda S, Allaf ME, Pomper MG, Yang X. [64Cu]-XYIMSR-06: a dual-motif CAIX ligand for PET imaging of clear cell renal cell carcinoma. Oncotarget 2016; 7: 56471-9.
117. van der Toom EE, Verdone JE, Gorin MA, Pienta KJ. Technical challenges in the isolation and analysis of circulating tumor cells. Oncotarget 2016; 7: 62754-66.
118. Valkenburg KC, Amend SR, Verdone JE, van der Toom EE, Hernandez JR, Gorin MA, Pienta KJ. A simple selection-free method for detecting disseminated tumor cells (DTCs) in murine bone marrow. Oncotarget 2016; 7: 69794-803.
119. Patel HD, Gorin MA, Gupta N, Kates M, Johnson MH, Pierorazio PM, Allaf ME. Mortality trends and the impact of lymphadenectomy on survival for renal cell carcinoma patients with distant metastasis. Can Urol Assoc J 2016; 10: 389-395.
120. Campbell SP, Rowe SP, Gorin MA, Allaf ME. Renal pseudoaneurysm mimicking local cancer recurrence after partial nephrectomy. Urol Case Rep 2016; 11: 1-3.
121. van der Toom EE, Verdone JE, Jun C, Petrisor D, Lim S, de la Rosette JJ, de Reijke TM, Gorin MA, Pienta KJ, Stoianovici D. A surface tension magnetophoretic device for rare cell isolation and characterization. Med Oncol 2017; 34: 22.
122. Gorin MA, Rowe SP, Hooper JE, Kates M, Hammers HJ, Szabo Z, Pomper MG, Allaf ME. PSMA-targeted 18F-DCFPyL PET/CT imaging of clear cell renal cell carcinoma: results from a rapid autopsy. Eur Urol 2017; 71: 145-6.
123. Tosoian JJ, Gorin MA, Ross AE, Pienta KJ, Tran PT, Schaeffer EM. Oligometastatic prostate cancer: definitions, clinical outcomes, and treatment considerations. Nat Rev Urol 2017; 14: 15-25.
124. Gorin MA, Rowe SP, Denmeade SR. Clinical applications of molecular imaging in the management of prostate cancer. PET Clin 2017; 12: 185-192.
125. Rowe SP, Gorin MA, Salas Fragomeni RA, Drzezga A, Pomper MG. Clinical experience with 18F-labeled small molecule inhibitors of prostate-specific membrane antigen. PET Clin 2017; 12: 235-241.
126. Pearce SM, Golan S, Gorin MA, Luckenbaugh AN, Williams SB, Ward JF, Montgomery JS, Hafez KS, Weizer AZ, Pierorazio PM, Allaf ME, Eggener SE. Safety and early oncologic effectiveness of primary robotic retroperitoneal lymph node dissection for nonseminomatous germ cell testicular cancer. Eur Urol. 2017; 71: 476-482.
127. Rowe SP, Gorin MA, Pomper MG. Imaging of Prostate-Specific Membrane Antigen Using [18F]DCFPyL. PET Clin. 2017; 12: 289-296.
128. Tosoian JJ, Gorin MA, Rowe SP, Andreas D, Szabo Z, Pienta KJ, Pomper MG, Lotan TL, Ross AE. Correlation of PSMA-targeted 18F-DCFPyL PET/CT findings with immunohistochemical and genomic data in a patient with metastatic neuroendocrine prostate cancer. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2017; 15: e65-e68.
129. Gorin MA, Verdone JE, van der Toom E, Bivalacqua TJ, Allaf ME, Pienta KJ. Circulating tumour cells as biomarkers of prostate, bladder, and kidney cancer. Nat Rev Urol 2017; 14: 90-97.
130. An JY, Ball MW, Gorin MA, Hong JJ, Johnson MH, Pavlovich CP, Allaf ME, Pierorazio PM. Partial vs. radical nephrectomy for T1-T2 renal masses in the elderly: comparison of complications, renal function, and oncologic outcomes. Urology 2017; 100: 151-157.
131. Li X, Rowe SP, Leal JP, Gorin MA, Allaf ME, Ross AE, Pienta KJ, Lodge MA, Pomper MG. Quantitative parameters in PSMA-targeted PET Imaging with 18F-DCFPyL: variability in normal organ uptake. J Nucl Med 2017; 58: 942-946.
132. Patel HD, Druskin SC, Rowe SP, Pierorazio PM, Gorin MA, Allaf ME. Surgical histopathology for suspected oncocytoma on renal mass biopsy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BJU Int 2017; 119: 661-666.
133. Rowe SP, Gorin MA, Javadi MS, Allaf ME. Evaluation of a large renal mass using 99mTc-MIBI SPECT/CT in a patient with chronic kidney disease. Clin Nucl Med 2017; 42: e166-e167.
134. Sheikhbahaei S, Jones CS, Porter KK, Rowe SP, Gorin MA, Baras AS, Pierorazio PM, Ball MW, Higuchi T, Johnson PT, Solnes LB, Epstein JI, Allaf ME, Javadi MS. Defining the added value of 99mTc-MIBI SPECT/CT to conventional cross-sectional imaging in the characterization of enhancing solid renal masses. Clin Nucl Med 2017; 42: e188-e193.
135. Chalfin HJ, Verdone JE, van der Toom EE, Glavaris S, Gorin MA, Pienta KJ. Nucleolin staining may aid in the identification of circulating prostate cancer cells. Clin Genitourin Cancer 2017; 15: e477-e481.
136. Meyer A, Gorin MA. Editorial comment re: Percent of Tracer Clearance at 40 min in MAG3 renal scans is more sensitive than T1/2 for symptomatic UPJ obstruction. Urology 2017; 103: 249-250.
137. Gorin MA, Pomper MG, Pienta KJ, Rowe SP. Defining the clinical utility of PSMA-targeted PET imaging of prostate cancer. BJU Int 2017; 120(2): 160-161.
138. Ball MW, Gorin MA, Drake CG, Hammers HJ, Allaf ME. The landscape of whole-genome alterations and pathologic features in genitourinary malignancies: an analysis of the cancer genome atlas. Eur Urology Foucs; in press.
139. Kostibas MP, Arora V, Gorin MA, Ball MW, Pierorazio PM, Allaf ME, Nyhan D, Brady MB. Defining the role of intraoperative transesophageal echocardiography during radical nephrectomy with inferior vena cava tumor thrombectomy for renal cell carcinoma. Urology; in press.
140. Rowe SP, Javadi MS, Allaf ME, Gorin MA. Characterization of indeterminate renal masses with molecular imaging: how do we turn potential into reality? EJNMMI Res; in press.
141. Gorin MA, Pienta KJ, Pomper MG, Rowe SP.Prostate cancer local recurrence detected with both 18F-fluciclovine and PSMA-targeted 18F-DCFPyL PET/CT. Urology; in press.
- American Urological Association
Honors & Awards
- Finalist, Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (May 2002)
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship, The Rockefeller University (June 2004)
- Graduation with Distinction, University of Michigan (May 2007)
- Best University of Miami Presentation (Sponsored by the American Medical Association Foundation), 34th Annual Eastern-Atlantic Student Research Forum (Feb 2008)
- American Cancer Society Summer Research Fellowship, University of Miami Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center (May 2008)
- Iron Arrow Honor Society, University of Miami (Oct 2009)
- Drs. Carl and Barbara Alving Endowed Award for Outstanding Biomedical Research, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine (Feb 2010)
- Distinction in Research, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine (May 2010)
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AΩA) Honor Medical Society, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine (Oct 2010)
- Honorable Mention in Surgery, 37th Annual Eastern-Atlantic Student Research Forum (Feb 2011)
- Department of Medical Education Unsung Hero Award, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine (May 2011
- Best Clinical Research Poster, 2015 Scientific Session of the National Kidney Foundation of Maryland (May 2015)
- Best Paper Award, Department of Urology Academic Session at the 2015 Johns Hopkins Medical and Surgical Association Biennial Meeting (June 2015)
- Nature Reviews Urology 2016 Annual Cover Image Contest Winner (Oct 2015)
- Best Poster Award, 16th Annual Meeting of the Society of Urologic Oncology (Dec 2015)
- Frank L. Coulson Jr. Resident Clinical Excellence Award, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (Apr 2016)
- Best Paper Award, 31st Annual Meeting of the Engineering & Urology Society (May 2016)
- Resident Research Award, Annual Residency Retreat, The James Buchanan Brady Urological Institute (May 2016)
- Johns Hopkins House Staff Council Resident Appreciation Award (Apr 2017)