Assistant Professor of Urology
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Director of Urologic Oncology
Sibley Memorial Hospital
Dr. Smith is an Assistant Professor of Urology at Johns Hopkins University and the Director of Johns Hopkins Urologic Oncology at Sibley Hospital. She completed her urologic residency at Cleveland Clinic, and urologic oncology fellowship at National Cancer Institute.
Dr. Smith is highly trained in advanced urologic surgery, including both open and minimally invasive approach to oncologic diseases and the use of latest robotic technologies. Her clinical expertise spans a wide area of urologic malignancies with particular interest in bladder and kidney cancers. In bladder cancer surgery she specializes in complex urinary diversions, including continent orthotopic neobladder and continent catheterizable pouch techniques. In kidney cancer her particular area of expertise is partial nephrectomy, with the goal of oncologically-sound maximum nephron-sparing surgery.
Dr. Smith has lectured internationally and authored chapters on urothelial and kidney cancer. Her current research focuses on elucidating risk factors for development of bladder cancer and overcoming resistance to conventional therapy regimens, including development of personalized targeted therapies.
|INSTITUTION AND LOCATION||DEGREE||MM/YY||FIELD OF STUDY|
|University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA||BS||09/1999-06/2001||Biology|
|University of California in San Francisco, San Francisco, CA||MD||09/2001-05/2005||Medicine|
|Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH||None||07/2005-06/2011||Residency in Urology|
National Cancer Insitute/Urologic Oncology Branch, Bethesda, MD
Clinical Fellowship in Urologic Oncology
District of Columbia Medical Board
Virginia Medical Board
Maryland Medical Board
Board Certified by American Board of Urology
Peer-reviewed Publications (Selected from 42 peer-reviewed publications)
- Jalalizadeh M, Smith AK, Miyamoto H. Intravesical Bacillus Calmette-GuÃ©rin Therapy for Bladder Cancer: Molecular Mechanisms of Action. Clinical Immunology, Endocrine & Metabolic Drugs. 2016 Mar 31. ISSN: 2212-7089
- Kerr BA, Miocinovic R, Smith AK, West XZ, Watts KE, Alzayed AW, Klink JC, Mir MC, Sturey T, Hansel DE, Heston WD, Stephenson AJ, Klein EA, Byzova TV. CD117+ cells in the circulation are predictive of advanced prostate cancer. Oncotarget. 2015 Jan 30;6(3):1889-97.
- Smith AK, Matin SF, Jarrett TW. Wein: Campbell-Walsh Urology, 11th ed., Chapter 58/Urothelial Tumors of the Upper Urinary Tract and Ureter. Elsevier 2013
- Iwai A, Bourboulia D, Mollapour M, Jensen-Taubman S, Lee S, Donnelly AC, Yoshida S, Miyajima N, Tsutsumi S, Smith AK, Sun D, Wu X, Blagg BS, Trepel JB, Stetler-Stevenson WG, Neckers L. Combined inhibition of Wee1 and Hsp90 activates intrinsic apoptosis in cancer cells. Cell Cycle. 2012 Oct 1;11(19):3649-55.
- Smith AK, Stephenson AJ, Lane BR, Larson BT, Thomas AA, Gong MC, Jones SJ, Campbell SC, Hansel DE. Inadequacy of biopsy for diagnosis of upper tract urothelial carcinoma: Implications for conservative management. Urology. 2011 Jul;78(1):82-6.
- Kerr BA, Miocinovic R, Smith AK, Klein EA, Byzova TV. Comparison of tumor and microenvironment secretomes in plasma and in platelets during prostate cancer growth in a xenograft model. Neoplasia. 2010 May;12(5):388-96
- Lane BR, Smith AK, Larson BT, Gong MC, Campbell SC, Raghavan D, Dreicer R, Hansel DE, Stephenson AJ. Chronic kidney disease after nephroureterectomy for upper tract urothelial carcinoma and implications for the administration of perioperative chemotherapy. Cancer. 2010 Jun 15;116(12):2967-73.
- Chan ESY, Patel AR, Smith AK, Klein JB, Thomas AA, Heston WD, Larchian WA. Optimization of orthotopic bladder tumor implantation in a syngeneic mouse model. J Urol 2009 Dec;182(6):2926-31.
- Smith AK, Hansel DE, Klein EA. Epidermoid cyst of the testicle. Urology. 2009 Sep;74(3):544.
- Smith AK, Palmer JS: Pediatric robotic urology (Current clinical urology): Chapter 3/Robotic instrumentation and equipment. Humana Press. Sep 9, 2009
- Smith AK, Hansel DE, Jones JS: Role of cystitis cystica et glandularis, intestinal metaplasia, and pelvic lipomatosis in development of bladder carcinoma. Urology.2008 May;71(5):915-8.
- Greene KL, Elkin EP, Karapetian A, Duchane J, Carroll PR, Kane CJ: Prostate biopsy tumor extent but not location predicts recurrence after radical prostatectomy: results from CaPSURE. J Urol. 2006 Jan;175(1):125-9
- Van der Veen RC, Dietlin TA, Karapetian A, Holland SM, Hofman FM: Extra-cellular superoxide promotes T cell expansion through inactivation of nitric oxide. J Neuroimmunol. 2004 Aug;153(1-2):183-9.
American Association of Cancer Research
Society of Urologic Oncology
American Urological Association
2012 John Quale Fellowship Travel Award
2011-2014 NIH Intramural Loan Repayment Award
2010 Cleveland Clinic Housestaff Association Award
2006 Cleveland Clinic Innovator Award
2005 UCSF Alumni Scholarship for Academic Excellence
2003 Chela Scholarship, University of California in San Francisco
2001 Cum Laude, University of Southern California
1999 Summa Cum Laude, Los Angeles Community College
1999 Edyth Dellacorte Scholarship for Excellence in Biology
1998-1999 Full-time Dean's and President's Honors, Los Angeles Community College